PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - Lensflare NTSC Rendering

Colonelbob
11-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Hey everyone, I am a brand new user of lightwave, so excuse me if this is a newbie question.

I have created a couple of different space scenes, using a lens flare as a sun, and flares in the engines of my ships.

When I render them out as animation files it looks fantastic. But then when I try to add it into a movie in Final Cut (NTSC) the flares completly disappear from the scene. Everything else looks normal.

I am so frustrated. Is there any solution? Easy or otherwise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mlinde
11-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Just a guess -- you have alpha channels you are using, and Lens Flares aren't recorded in the alpha

If I'm right, you need to render just a pass of the lens flares and composite them into the final animation.

Colonelbob
11-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I am so newb, that I dont' really know what you mean.

I am setting up my scene with my objects. Parenting lights to my engines, and putting a light as my sun. Then I am turning on the lensflares for those lights.

When I render I am choosing quicktime.mov, and animation as the codec.

I am not using alpha channels (not sure what they are). At least not knowingly. When I watch the rendered quicktime movie (animation) it is perfect. When I bring it into final cut and render it, the lensflares disappear.

I am not sure how I would render out the alpha channels separately.

Sorry for being such a newb. Just trying to learn.

Thx. Any other suggestions would be very helpful. Thx again.

Beamtracer
11-24-2003, 07:49 PM
In future, if you want to render something from Lightwave and don't want this alpha channel (which causes parts of your image to be transparent) then select a 24-bit image format from the render menu. Don't use 32-bit images, as they include the alpha channel.

If you have already mistakenly rendered something with an alpha channel (which it sounds like you have), you can tell Final Cut Pro to ignore it.

Somewhere in the FCP menus, probably where you import your vision, you should be able to select a setting that says "Ignore Alpha". This should restore your image again.

mlinde
11-24-2003, 08:07 PM
In addition to Beam's comments, if you do learn to want alpha channels, and lens flares, you would create a version of your scene with just the lights and lens flares (nothing else) this would render on a black background, which you could then matte with in FCP or any other application. Don't fret the details now, just file it for the future, you'll be glad you did.

UnCommonGrafx
11-24-2003, 08:08 PM
http://www.flay.com
Lens2Flare by Arnie Cachelin

Will put the lensflare in your alpha channel. Go find this, put it in your scene and re-render the scene. Should work.

drclare
11-25-2003, 12:48 AM
In final cut pro choose your video file in the browser, right click on it and choose item properties, then where it says alpha type choose "none/ignore". Also, when saving a movie in Lightwave in the output files tab under where you chose Quicktime movie their is an options button. Click this and it will bring up the compression info. If it says Millions+ that means that it will have an alpha channel. To get rid of this choose Millions, then you won't have to worry about it in final cut pro.

Colonelbob
11-25-2003, 05:11 AM
Wow, Everyone you are amazing.

Thanks for helping me out. I got it to work this morning. I am thrilled.

Great to be working in a program where people actually help each other instead of trashing the newbs.

Thanks again.

drclare
11-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Hey, we were all newbs once, and the reason we're not anymore is because we got help from this community too. Glad to be of help.