PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch Problems

Columbo24
07-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi
I'm having a problem's modeling a computer mouse.
1.I'm still having some difficulty modeling contoured shapes. I get lost sometimes with all those points. You can see the mouse is not yet smooth and shaped correctly. Is there a secret to moving points so they line up smoothly?
2.I selected polygons to make one of the click buttons and copy and pasted it to a new layer, but all the edges are curved and are not angular like the wire mesh. Also I'm getting a hole in it. What am I doing wrong?
3.The football shaped mouse button, I can't get the shape. Did I do something wrong with my initial geometry? Do I need to prep the objects by moving polygons around. Like if you're modeling a plane you align polygons to coincide where the wings going to be in order to bevel.
Basically if there are any other suggestions let me know.
Thanks.
Bill

meshpig
07-27-2014, 02:04 AM
Work with faces bearing sds in mind instead of the other way around.

meshpig
07-27-2014, 09:39 AM
I have a rough idea of what a PC mouse looks like... once you've established the basic polyflow it's easy to select loops and cut, remove superflous geometry and smooth shift gullies.

jeric_synergy
07-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Uhhhhhh, interesting design.... is that a palm warmer in the middle? ;)

+++++
OP, with such great reference photos, you might consider spline-patching this baby. OTOH, subd's are perfect for this kind of thing.

If there were a good way to get from splines (cue Sensei) to Subd's..... heck, maybe there is. Spline patching is MAGNITUDES easier than it used to be, and I still have now-undeserved phobias about it from the Bad Olde Days. :cry:

meshpig
07-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Spline patching isn't great for this sort of hard edged shape imho because you still have the problem of curve to polygon/polygpn flow. Like it would take you more than 20 minutes anyway :)