PDA

View Full Version : Displacement of multi-layered objects.

Digital Hermit
07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Ok, I have a military tank that has quite a few layers.

Lets say, I want to smash it with a large bolder and have the bolder "bounce off" leaving a huge dent that affects part of the body, the turret, hatch etc.

Currently I am using a simple texture displacement image, but I cannot find a global way of applying it to all the layers. Do I really have to add the displacement to each layered object? I mean it works, but am I missing some faster way?

I tried selecting multiple layers all at once and adding the Texture Displacement but it didn't take.

Thanks for any help.

ernpchan
07-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Since each object is it's own layer then yes, you'll have to apply the displacement one at a time. If you're animating the displacement you could tie elements of it to an external object like a null...so this way if you have to adjust it then you can do it via the one null instead of having to go back into each object setting.

Or you could set up your tank to be a solid mesh and then rig it via bones. Then you're just applying the displacement to one mesh object.

Digital Hermit
07-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Thanks ernpchan,

Since the models were "static" for that part of the scene, I replaced them with a single layered version.

Question... Do people use layers in layout? Because it seems to me the correct workflow is to create the models using layers, but you save out the "final" as single layer to be later rigged in layout.

Dodgy
07-28-2014, 05:15 AM
I have rigged a robot with bones for this sort of reason. Rather than weight maps (which can inflate a file's size significantly) I separated the major parts and then boned them there, and moved the bones back in place. Alternatively you could make a low poly version, use clothfx to crush it up and make the hi poly tank parts children of it and apply metalink to them. It will deform the parts using the crushed lo poly object.

Danner
07-28-2014, 06:44 AM
As for the layers question, as usual, it depends. On large scenes I like to have things separate so I can turn things on and off, color their wireframe individually etc. But also for things like having a glass layer not cast shadow and be unseen by radiosity, so more outside light goes into a room and it renders faster. Also for places with repeating objects (restaurants for example) I always clone and place the things in layout. That way if there is a change to a table or chair I only have to do it once.