PDA

View Full Version : Combining objects?

ChristopherVFX
07-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Just curious, I'm looking into modeling my first figure, and I was wondering if I could model one object, save it, model another, save it, (and so on), and then take it into Layout, put them all together, and make them into one single object. Is that, or something like it, possible?

Dexter2999
07-25-2014, 03:25 PM
If it is a mechanical object, sure. If you are building an organic figure they tend to be all one piece.

bobakabob
07-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Yep, no problem. You can model separate parts in LAYERS in Modeler then cut, paste and WELD them together when it suits you. Are you clear about basics such as welding polygon edges or points together? If not check out the tons of YouTube tuts or buy a cheap inside LW book by Dan Ablan.

jeric_synergy
07-25-2014, 03:34 PM
You COULD, but there's very little reason to do so. You can make them all into one LAYER in Modeler. Or if you have multiple objects in Modeler (LWM), you can cut and paste other objects together to make a new Object.

There's a bit of ambiguity in LW non-formal terminology about an "object": LAYERS in a mesh file are treated as separate entities/Objects in Layout, but the file itself is often called "an object". In Layout, motions pertain to individual Layers, rather than the entire file. To get all the layers to move together one would normally parent some to others, but this is not automatic.

Even this post itself is probably inconsistent in terminology.

To save multiple objects FROM Layout (which might be handy in creating a room) I believe you'd need a script/plugin, and this is the kind of facility that there are many such to choose from.

ChristopherVFX
07-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Are you clear about basics such as welding polygon edges or points together? If not check out the tons of YouTube tuts.

I'm not familiar with welding polygon edges or points together, but the term sounds familiar. In any event, I will look up tutorials about it in the future!

Thanks everyone.

jeric_synergy
07-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Tell us what you're working on and we can give you more appropriate tips.

For instance, most users MIGHT make a robot using different Layers for its different parts, but it's also perfectly appropriate to make a robot all in one layer, and use Bones and Weight Maps to move its parts in a mechanical (i.e. non-squishy) manner. You can also use Bones+W.Maps to move more boring mechanical things like radio dials. This cuts down on superfluous layers appearing as Objects in the Layout Scene Editor.

ChristopherVFX
07-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Well, I'd like to know how to make some sort of mechanical being that has different parts, but what I'm currently trying is I'm going to make some sort of insect-monster and I was wondering if I could make like each leg seperately, or the teeth seperately, or things like that and put them together in Layout and make them all one object.

jeric_synergy
07-26-2014, 06:38 PM
You could, but like I said, there's little/no reason to do so.

ernpchan
07-26-2014, 09:49 PM
If you put all the pieces together in Layout you're putting the rig together. To say it's one model is misleading because you're still gonna have multiple object files, unless you collapse them all into one file via one of the various tools out there. As jeric and others have pointed out, to build something with separate files when it could be one with layers is unnecessary, unless your workflow dictates having individual files for whatever reason (asset management, scripting/tools purposes, etc). In the end you should work in whatever way helps you visualize and reach your end goal the fastest.