PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to convert Skelegons to Bones in Modeler?

emarufino
07-25-2014, 11:32 AM
I want to convert skelegons to bones at Modeler, is there a way to do that?

I was looking at this marvelous forum but i can't find the anwser.

Thanks!!!!

Ema.-

Phil
07-25-2014, 11:52 AM
There is no modeler context for bones, so no. If you're looking to use them as modelling tools, you can use Layout to save a version of your deformed mesh (from the bones) to LWO.

Greenlaw
07-25-2014, 12:02 PM
What Phil said. Use Save Transformed in Layout to save your deformed object for Modeler. :)

emarufino
07-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your reply! I just want to send the bones info to Blender. Blenders imports skelegons well, but i don't know how to edit, and i was reading at blender forums and seems to be like Blender supports LW bones, but not LW skelegons. I hope you understand my problem here :P

ernpchan
07-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Sounds like you want to export the Layout rig then...not the Modeler skelegons.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Ryan Roye
07-25-2014, 01:29 PM
I want to convert skelegons to bones at Modeler, is there a way to do that?

I was looking at this marvelous forum but i can't find the anwser.

Thanks!!!!

Ema.-

Natively, skeletons (and genoma bones, for that matter) are one-way. You can transfer skelegons to layout, but you can't take bones in layout and convert them into skelegons.

However, there are some very old 3rd party plugins that you can get:

http://www.mikegreen.name/ - MG Update bones: If you need to update your skelegons in modeler and then make your rig reflect those changes, MG update bones allows you to do this. Without this tool, you'd have to delete your entire rig and re-build it (destroying anything you set up that can't be set up in modeler). This does not work with Genoma setups, however.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/load-bones/ - Allows you to take bones in a layout scene file and insert them into modeler. The only issue here is that you must export a version 6.0 scene file before doing this due to how old this plugin is.

The main reasons to work with skelegons right now:

- No (easy) native symmetry editing in Layout
- No symmetry bone length editing
- Bones can't be moved using world space

I'm predicting next month we'll at least see the above problems disappear to allow for a fully layout-based rigging workflow without having to buy commercial plugins or use someone else's rig.

emarufino
07-25-2014, 05:26 PM
I want to take the Layout animations (bones) to blender. I tried with the blender importer for LWO, but of course, imports the mesh and the skelegones well, but without animations.

Any ideas?

Greenlaw
07-25-2014, 05:32 PM
You might try exporting an FBX from Lightwave. FBX is the standard format for moving animated rigs, cameras, etc. between programs. It works for me when I need to move data between LightWave, Motion Builder, Maya and Fusion but I haven't tried it with Blender.

There was a thread recently about the development of I/O plug-ins for Blender and Lightwave. Here's the link for the thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?141548-Blender-LWO-Exporter-request-support&highlight=lightwave+to+blender

If this works for you, be sure to tip the programmer--other users who needed this capability sent him donations to start the project.

Let us know how it goes.

G.

prometheus
07-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Nevermind, it was too hot today and my brain must have been overcooked, had to erase my quick reply:) no one knows what I said, and that is fine by me:D

Greenlaw
07-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Prometheus, actually, you are correct. There is a very old Modeler plug-in that converts bones from Lightwave scenes to skelegons. If I remember correctly there are multiple issues to be aware of when using it though:

1. It only works in x32 Modeler.

2. You need to save your scene as a LightWave 6 scene for the plug-in in Modeler to see the bones in it.

I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of the above statements (it's been a long time since I used this tool) but the issues are something like that. If you don't mind the hassle, the plug-in may still be useful. I don't bother with it because I'm often working with mocap rigs and this tool is not really compatible with LightWave Joints.

G.

Ryan Roye
07-26-2014, 02:16 PM
1. It only works in x32 Modeler.

Loadbones works in x64 as well... you are correct however that it doesn't work well with joints (it will yield some weird rotations and bone lengths), and the export to 6.0 scene file is required. LW definitely needs better and more updated workflows for rig adjustment and modification.

Greenlaw
07-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Ah, thanks for the correction. :)

G.