PDA

View Full Version : Phone model Subpatch

Tony3d
07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Been working with Richards Tutorials. Tried this phone from scratch. Looks a little better right? Going to try and patch the number keys, unless there is a better way?

Tony3d
07-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Because of the buttons, I had to go to cat mull-clarke. Oh well.

Snosrap
07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Because of the buttons, I had to go to cat mull-clarke. Oh well. You'll come to regret that move when you UV it. :)

Tony3d
07-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Yes, but these models I'm building are just to learn with. probably won't go through the trouble to surface this anyway. wasn't sure how to handle all those buttons, so ended up with N-gons, and some triangles.

Danner
07-25-2014, 06:16 AM
I often use Catmull-clark while modeling, I like the freedom. But convert them to regular supatch at some point.

As you know n-gons need to be divided so they turn into quads or triangles, to do this I choose two points of the ngon and use connect (shortcut "L") to do it manually, other times I triple then merge triangle pairs to form quads. You can also use "make pole" it adds an extra point but it's a good way of dividing disc shaped ngons.

hrgiger
07-25-2014, 08:32 AM
You shouldn't need catmull-clark for any of that. And if the error message about having non 3 or 4 point polygons bothers you, you can change your alert level to not receive the error.