PDA

View Full Version : IFF file writing failed

josegildie
07-24-2014, 03:08 AM
Hi,

I am trying to create instances with many different materials/textures. I have added up to 40 nodes or so for the different textures. At some point as I tried to save the object it won't let me:

"IFF file writing failed

An IFF file chunk of 65798 bytes exceeds 65535 bytes.
If using Node Editor, shorten the names of your nodes."

I have indeed shortened all the names to a single character. And it has let me add a few more nodes. But it seems I have reached a limit since now I can not save the object unless I deleted some of the nodes.

I can not believe there is a limitation because of the length in the nodes names. Or, is it a limitation in the number of nodes? Or, is it a bug?

I only really need to add 8 more nodes for 8 extra textures and I am stuck. Can somebody please help?

Thanks

spherical
07-24-2014, 03:32 AM
65535 is the highest number that can be held in a 16-bit unsigned binary. It isn't a bug, it's a limitation. Could it be raised? Probably, but it would require a bit of coding at the application source level to increase it.

Best to FogBugz this, so that it can be considered for a future version.

josegildie
07-24-2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks,

But then, is there any way around this limitation? That is, it seems that the problem has to do with the names of the modules or doesn't it?

Danner
07-24-2014, 05:02 AM
Can you split it into several objects?

josegildie
07-24-2014, 05:28 AM
I guess thatīs what I will do. Thanks!

spherical
07-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Without having tried it, I would wager that it is a combination of number of nodes and their name length and possibly how complex the network is (IOW, how many inputs per node are being used). All depends upon how much information has to be stored. As you found, shortening the names allowed more nodes, so you could have one node with an insanely long name and exceed the limit.

Sensei
07-25-2014, 06:02 AM
See mine video tutorial about IFF-Chunk limitation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwtr9MNcFc
(I am showing people how to reproduce what you're observing right now - because people didn't believed me when I was telling them this years ago)

The best way to bypass this limitation is simply using TrueArt's Global Materials:
http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu
You can use it also for just one troublesome surface! And all other node editors have intact.
So you would simply copy your current node setup to GM, add Make Material, and save file & scene, and it would work.

Global Materials is saving nodes inside of SCENE file, not object. So, limitation of LWO doesn't bother you.

Can you split it into several objects?

Split single node editor setup? It's not geometry...

spherical
07-25-2014, 07:06 PM
I just may have to get GM. Ever give any consideration to my suggestion about putting together a TrueArt Layout Pack? That Modeling Pack needs a friend to play with.

Sensei
07-26-2014, 03:42 AM
I just may have to get GM.

I am surprised you didn't get it yet ;)

This plugin is the most used by myself..