PDA

View Full Version : RR_Tools for Lightwave @ liberty3d.com

Ryan Roye
07-23-2014, 04:56 PM
http://www.liberty3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/RR_Tools_001.jpg

Even though software development isn't really my calling, over the next few weeks I'm going to be working on some much needed tools for Lightwave Layout... which I'm kind of baffled don't already exist. Most of the tools I'm making will require the latest versions of Lightwave to function.

What's available now: (as of this post)

- Symmetry editing tools, including setting rest lengths between both sides of a rig
- Bone Pinning (this differs from the TA-Tools verison in that it doesn't unparent items to operate, making it more IKBooster friendly)
- Mass add/remove relativity (pair this with relativity's bulk management functionality; opens the door to incredibly complex constraint systems across hundreds of items)

What I'm working on:

RR_Simple_Retarget toolset – Automatically retarget any bone-based rig to another with ability to save presets. A tool meant for IKBooster users. Also, tools will be implemented to make saving a desired section of a motion capture file easier (enter in a keyframe range, bam, that gets saved into a usable file). Finally, this will automate most of relative motions for motion capture.
RR_Keyframe tools – a set of simple tools designed to manage keyframes with fewer button presses using context-sensitive commands.
RR_RelativeMotion_Prep – Automatically performs the steps of preparing a relative motion file that uses bind nulls. I want to take out most of the manual work involving this workflow.

Some of these tools will render parts of my IKBooster series obsolete, so anyone who bought into those will get updated videos at no cost that utilize these tools and polish upon areas I feel could have been done better. More news on that later.

Keep an eye on this page over the coming weeks... I have quite a shopping list of plugins I'm working on and if you run into problems using them, or have ideas or contributions that you'd like to make please feel free post here or e-mail me at [email protected]

By the way, did I mention these tools are 100% free and open source and you can do whatever the heck you want with them?

http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-free-plugins/

Huge thanks to the learning resources out there for Python... particularly:

http://www.lawson3d.com/lwpywiki/
http://justaddmilk.org/

tyrot
07-23-2014, 05:17 PM
very cool - waiting for updated videos...!

tonyrizo2003
07-23-2014, 05:27 PM
very cool

ianr
07-25-2014, 10:05 AM
A nice add.RR!

cyborg_ty
08-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks for creating the free tools. I appreciate the time and effort involved.

I decided to play with RR_Retarget. After mapping all of the targets on the left side and setting the 'Set Mirror Options', I get an error when running the 'Set Mirror' command:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\bin\plugins\3rdParty\ RR_Tools\RR_Retarget_SetMirror.py", line 28, in <module>
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\tyrone\\.NewTek\\LightWave\\11.6.2RR_S ymmetryEditMode_OptionsL.txt'

An obvious issue for the 'No such file or directory' is there isn't a '\\' after the 11.6.2 (or before the RR_SymmetryEditMode_Options.txt file name). Also the RR_SymmetryEditMode_OptionsL.txt and RR_SymmetryEditMode_OptionsR.txt files exist within the C:\Users\tyrone\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2 path on my system.

Any idea of how I can get past this (maybe I'm missing something obvious because I'm tired; also still relatively new to Lightwave)?

cyborg_ty
08-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks for creating the free tools. I appreciate the time and effort involved.

I decided to play with RR_Retarget. After mapping all of the targets on the left side and setting the 'Set Mirror Options', I get an error when running the 'Set Mirror' command:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\bin\plugins\3rdParty\ RR_Tools\RR_Retarget_SetMirror.py", line 28, in <module>
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\tyrone\\.NewTek\\LightWave\\11.6.2RR_S ymmetryEditMode_OptionsL.txt'

An obvious issue for the 'No such file or directory' is there isn't a '\\' after the 11.6.2 (or before the RR_SymmetryEditMode_Options.txt file name). Also the RR_SymmetryEditMode_OptionsL.txt and RR_SymmetryEditMode_OptionsR.txt files exist within the C:\Users\tyrone\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2 path on my system.

Any idea of how I can get past this (maybe I'm missing something obvious because I'm tired; also still relatively new to Lightwave)?

Ryan Roye
08-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Stand by on that... I'm going to be updating all of my tools on monday in addition to publishing 5 new ones. I did some major slipups in the filepath portions of the scripts, and I got reports that there's problems with some commands (due to some version differences) not being found when the plugins are executed so stay tuned.

Ryan Roye
08-18-2014, 07:43 PM
All plugins on the page linked in the original post have been updated. Fixed major compatibility issues, pathing problems, and some minor changes such as Bonepin locking rotation as well as position. If you are updating the plugins, simply overwrite the old versions with the new ones. I also included menu tabs for everyone's convenience.

Stay tuned, because I'm about to introduce even more powerful new tools to Lightwave's arsenal :)