PDA

View Full Version : Whos hot and whos not?

prometheus
07-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Well..another weather status report.
Currently we have a heatwave over sweden that have lasted for several days now, not extreme by international standard though and maybe very common over in america.
30 degrees celsius in sthlm today, and it will continue to be hot the upcoming days, up in the north part of sweden it is even hotter at 34 degrees in celsius.
Got a fan going all night, so it sort of works for some hours.

So what are your status at your place... guys and girls and nerds?

Michael

Ma3rk
07-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Triple Fahrenheit digits predicted tomorrow for the LA area. That's about 40+ C. Fortunately, I'm heading about 1000 miles north for the week.

MarcusM
07-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Szczecin, Poland 27-36 in last days... too hot.
In last weekend i was repairing roof in that weather, clear pleasure ;]

3dworks
07-23-2014, 11:49 AM
26 degrees (celsius) right now at 19:45 local time in berlin/ germany. but it is getting less hot theses days - we had peaks of 34 degrees for a few days. hottest night was a few days ago with 27 degrees around midnight! adding some new GPU render nodes for octane doesn't of course help to cool down the situation :D

markus

Slartibartfast
07-23-2014, 11:58 AM
25C in lake vaenern! Like my cpu I am now watercooled :)

lertola2
07-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Hot in Sweden. That bums me out. I am traveling to Sweden tomorrow. It is hot in New York City also.

spherical
07-23-2014, 05:27 PM
On the Central California Coast, it's 21.6C (71F), 10.5C (51F) at night. This is with WestNorthWest winds off the ocean. When the wind shifts to South, day temps can get to 43.3+ (110F+). Fortunately, at night, convection influences take over and the ocean cools us with a strong breeze in the mid 15C (60F) range that overpowers the wind direction. As soon as the Sun breaks the horizon, the breeze drops and it's out of bed and close the studio windows and skylights to trap the cool air and turn on the AC. The skylights are fitted with white cloth covers to reflect much of the energy, while allowing diffuse light to fill the rooms. Helps to keep the paintings from fading, too.

The AC unit is an LG vertical, wheeled portable with large exhaust/input hoses (the latter being fitted by me to counter the negative pressure created by exhaust-only that would just suck in hot air through every crack) that attach to ports in the sliding glass doors that lead from the main studio to the Hot Glass Shop. Needless to say, if we can avoid it we don't blow glass when it's 43C out there and the AC is pumping 52C (126F) energy that has been extracted from the main studio into the Glass Shop. That's when the Hot Glass Shop is really hot! It's only a 12,000 Btu/h unit, so having a good starting point at the beginning of the day is essential. Give it a leg up and it'll maintain about a 8.5C (15F) differential from outside temperature all day and provides a dehumidifying effect. I've run some 12V lines out from our computer cases and power 120mm muffin fans with them to provide evaporation cooling to our bodies while at our workstations. By mid afternoon, it's in the 30C (85F) range in here and we use a laser thermometer to read when the outside temp drops below inside to allow re-opening the windows and vents in the roof. Rinse, repeat.

prometheus
07-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Hot in Sweden. That bums me out. I am traveling to Sweden tomorrow. It is hot in New York City also.

cool:)
where are you heading off to in sweden? in stockholm today it was probably the hottest day of the year, today around 31 degrees celsius, at night maybe it goes down to 18-20 degrees, and tommorrow seems to be the same thing according to the forecas.
And mostly completly clear skies, no thunder in stockholm anyway.

You probably want to take a ferry somewhere or boat out to the archipelagoos, and maybe a chance to cool yourself in the water, otherwise the best places to find somewhat decent shores is in skne or bstad, and also at gotland which is an island a bit away from mainland, theres another little island called gotska sandn ..which has decent beach, at least for sweden, it cant really compare to carribean stuff though.
Otherwise hangaround in sthlm city, with a cool drink and look at other beautiful stuff.

If you go to stockholm, though being a capital city, it is by no way crowded,.and its quite empty now at vacation times,..well not empty, you can meet people and ask for the way:) but its not crowded compared to london etc.

Waves of light
07-24-2014, 07:45 AM
It's current 23/24 in the UK and 18 at nighy, which isn't nice. Off to Spain in a week, where it's currently 35 and 21 in the evening. Hope the site has air con, or a massive fan.

prometheus
07-24-2014, 07:48 AM
On the Central California Coast, it's 21.6C (71F), 10.5C (51F) at night. This is with WestNorthWest winds off the ocean. When the wind shifts to South, day temps can get to 43.3+ (110F+). Fortunately, at night, convection influences take over and the ocean cools us with a strong breeze in the mid 15C (60F) range that overpowers the wind direction. As soon as the Sun breaks the horizon, the breeze drops and it's out of bed and close the studio windows and skylights to trap the cool air and turn on the AC. The skylights are fitted with white cloth covers to reflect much of the energy, while allowing diffuse light to fill the rooms. Helps to keep the paintings from fading, too.

The AC unit is an LG vertical, wheeled portable with large exhaust/input hoses (the latter being fitted by me to counter the negative pressure created by exhaust-only that would just suck in hot air through every crack) that attach to ports in the sliding glass doors that lead from the main studio to the Hot Glass Shop. Needless to say, if we can avoid it we don't blow glass when it's 43C out there and the AC is pumping 52C (126F) energy that has been extracted from the main studio into the Glass Shop. That's when the Hot Glass Shop is really hot! It's only a 12,000 Btu/h unit, so having a good starting point at the beginning of the day is essential. Give it a leg up and it'll maintain about a 8.5C (15F) differential from outside temperature all day and provides a dehumidifying effect. I've run some 12V lines out from our computer cases and power 120mm muffin fans with them to provide evaporation cooling to our bodies while at our workstations. By mid afternoon, it's in the 30C (85F) range in here and we use a laser thermometer to read when the outside temp drops below inside to allow re-opening the windows and vents in the roof. Rinse, repeat.

Yeah wish I had an AC now, but it isnt really motivated when you live in places like sweden and sthlm, we only have these few days or a week or two with this kind of weather to enjoy or to endure depending on how you like it, then it goes back to cool down quite fast, I actually generally love the autumn, and late august,september and early october the best, and I actually prefer rainy days mostly..Yeah, I am a weirdo:)
I have recognized that 16 degrees celsius outside is actually one of my favorite temps, I really feel good at that climate as I have checked the mood at that condition.

occasionally I can stand hot days like these...And even enjoy them, which I actually have done today, as long as I am not working, got loads of cool water, and can have a fan blowing while getting a slight sun tan, its all ok.

The most horrible thing would be to be on a crowded bus, the heat simply sucks out all air it seems, I feel for the bus drivers at this time.
From november to mars, it will probably be dark and cold and very very little sunlight to embrace.
The sun has already started to go down maybe 4 minutes earlier every day now, today it goes down at 21.30, and even at night you still have the skies lit up in cyan colors, which I really enjoy if Im not to tired, its nice to be out at night.

Heat record for sweden is something like 38 degrees cels, and that was 1933
In stockholm we only have had 36 degrees but that was 1811 :)

I was thinking, arent there any stuff to get your pillow nice and cool during night, ideas or products?

MarcusM
07-24-2014, 08:11 AM
If you feel that is too hot you can watch this crazy guy from Norway ;]
http://www.youtube.com/user/apetor/videos

adrian
07-24-2014, 09:34 AM
25-28C in Brighton on the south coast of the UK for the past few days. One maybe two more hot days (yes that's hot for us) and then back to the usual dross (high teens celsius).

spherical
07-24-2014, 04:32 PM
I actually generally love the autumn, and late august,september and early october the best, and I actually prefer rainy days mostly..Yeah, I am a weirdo

We love it when it rains and fall is my favorite time of year. I knew there was some reason I liked you. :D

I was thinking, arent there any stuff to get your pillow nice and cool during night, ideas or products?

We tried out a set of memory foam pillows and, for this climate, couldn't stand them. So much density, they don't warm up when you rest upon them; sucking the energy out of our bodies for a long time. Could get one of those, slice a pocket horizontally through the center from one side and place a re-freezable ice blanket pack inside. Chillin'.

meshpig
07-25-2014, 02:52 AM
F^rK, I just got my Gas bill for the Winter quarter, mainly for heating using double burning convection in a well insulated house... $ 750 ( 525). We must be mad as it's not really very cold here but only 4 years ago Gas was 1/4 of the price and old habits die hard. Very large LNG resources here but now the idea is that there's more to be made by exporting it and the pipeline is almost finished: welcome to the new international Gas price! Still, 10 ℃ is nightly cold for us but with the A/C in Summer it's a staggering $250 pm. power bill. So much for the climate skeptics :)

gerry_g
07-25-2014, 03:58 AM
It's way down to 22C today but it has been nudging 30 of late, every year I dread the summer because running two liquid cooled 12 cores in a small room is not cool (pun intended), but now I have two passively cooled 12 Core Mac Pros that kick out very little heat and it's heaven, the monitors put out more heat than the machines with the external drives coming in second.

-EsHrA-
07-25-2014, 04:57 AM
im pretty hot! :D

50one
07-25-2014, 05:09 AM
24C, feels like 50 in the sun hehe.

- - - Updated - - -

im pretty hot! :D

Got pics?

MarcusM
07-25-2014, 06:16 AM
F^rK, I just got my Gas bill for the Winter quarter, mainly for heating using double burning convection in a well insulated house... $ 750 (€ 525). We must be mad as it's not really very cold here but only 4 years ago Gas was 1/4 of the price and old habits die hard. Very large LNG resources here but now the idea is that there's more to be made by exporting it and the pipeline is almost finished: welcome to the new international Gas price! Still, 10 ℃ is nightly cold for us but with the A/C in Summer it's a staggering $250 pm. power bill. So much for the climate skeptics :)

How many m3 you used and how much you pay for 1m3?
I live in single-family house, basement +2 levels, 150m2 habitable, and spending arould 800USD for wood on all heating season + gas for other things.

BigHache
07-25-2014, 01:58 PM
29C in Florida, with a heat index of 34C, which is pretty standard. Central A/C is a MUST here in home and car.

The best part of summer here is when it rains for 20 minutes, around 3pm almost every day, just to add more humidity and make it feel hotter for the end of the day. :/

JohnMarchant
07-25-2014, 03:24 PM
32 Degrees here in Seychelles, mind you its 32 Degrees most of the year apart from occasionally 28 Degrees.

prometheus
07-25-2014, 03:50 PM
32 Degrees here in Seychelles, mind you its 32 Degrees most of the year apart from occasionally 28 Degrees.

we had 32 the other day here in stockholm, now its soon midnight here and its way cooler 21 degrees celsius, but I dont think I could stand to live with 32 degrees almost all days of the year..huh, now after this hot week and a warm late summer, I will start to long for autumn climate, that will bring on a cool fresh air at 8-10 degrees, and a smell of the world famous gingerbread cookies callad annas pepparkakor (annas gingerbread) the factory is located som 1000 meters away from me, and the sweetness of those bakings mixed the a slightly chill air, and the trees leafs are turning red, that is so nice...unfortunatly, that period will only last for 3-4 weeks then it starts to get dull in late october and november ...until the snow shows up at december mostly.

I like the fours seasons climate, except for that the winter time ..I wish it was a little shorter and should end at mid februari, as it is now it always seem to hang on til the middle of mars.
So summer is to unpredictable, could be very hot some periods, and the next summer it could just be rain almost all the summer, and the autumn with all its glory is to short, and the winter to long:)

meshpig
07-26-2014, 01:56 AM
How many m3 you used and how much you pay for 1m3?
I live in single-family house, basement +2 levels, 150m2 habitable, and spending arould 800USD for wood on all heating season + gas for other things.

Do you mean by "m3" a MegaJoule? It varies bwteen $0.002 and $0.003 per unit and in Summer when Gas is only for hot water and cooking the bill is %60 less.

- half your luck but a ton of wood will cost you $150 minimum and I know you can burn that in a week, apart from the fact that it's no longer legal as it smogs the crap out of everywhere. The answer is Solar here, getting onto it but LNG has been cheap and clean for decades and suddenly it's expensive and dirty as it's supposedly cheaper to go with Brown Coal generated electricity.

Shnoze Shmon
07-29-2014, 08:43 AM
A cold front has made it absolutely freezing in Texas with temperatures dropping down into the upper 80s F. I think the governor may be asking other states if they have a snow shovel we can borrow if things get any worse.