PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX Problem

ChristopherVFX
07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm trying to create grass with FiberFX, but when I look in VPR and export it, it doesn't show and is just black. Any ideas on how to fix it?

prometheus
07-22-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm trying to create grass with FiberFX, but when I look in VPR and export it, it doesn't show and is just black. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Export to what and why exporting?
VPR will not showcase fiberfx unless you check the volume only, otherwise you are using the pixel filter which VPR currently donīt support, the pixel filter is faster and renders only with final render.

Grass on larger areas are not fiberfx strong area, use instanced geometry, like the one in the later lw content scenes, or use sasquatch for grass..it does a much better job at that.

ChristopherVFX
07-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks, but I can't find Sasquatch. I go to the object's properties and under Deform>Add Displacement there is no Sasquatch or SasLite, or anything.

Dodgy
07-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Sasquatch is a paid for plugin.

Really, the best way to do grass is instances, FFX just isn't up to the task.

Megalodon2.0
07-22-2014, 06:27 PM

Yeah, we still use Sasquatch for grass in archviz stuff. Absolutely love it. Of course it is $200, but then when I first bought it I believe it was $499?

http://www.worley.com/E/Products/sasquatch/sasquatch.html

Dodgy
07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it's great for grass if you're willing to pay for it :) I was, but this lad might not want to!

Megalodon2.0
07-23-2014, 12:18 AM
I would have to think twice as well - especially since Worley seems to be MIA and no further development on anything, AFAIK. Still a great plugin AND a dependable hair solution. Too bad it doesn't work with anything but the Classic camera.

prometheus
07-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Sasquatch lite used to be free and shipped with lightwave up till a certain version, canīt recall when they removed that out, maybe when newtek opted for fiberfx instead?

prometheus
07-23-2014, 12:43 AM

welll...we talked sasquatch here, we have already mentioned ffx isnīt up to the task.
sasquatch is capable of it indeed.
http://www.worley.com/E/Products/sasquatch/rendering.html
http://www.worley.com/Media/animations/sasquatch/chopper.avi

Itīs a bit more tricky to animate dynamics with instances, especially on large areas with a chopper affecting only a certain part..while moving all over the grass.
fiberfx can produce nice gravity motion for dynamics, based on ripple procedurals and referencing a null object while moving, but it only works decent on small grass patches.

ChristopherVFX
07-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all the info. In FiberFX, I checked Volume only, and it still isn't showing. Any ideas?

Chernoby
07-25-2014, 03:52 PM
I had this same problem. I don't remember how I fixed it but it got to a point where I tried 12 or more things at once out frustration and then when I tested it, it started working. So I have no idea what the actual trick was.

Adjust the seld shadowing and cast shadowing options in various ways.
Click on the fiberfx panel, click the "preview" off and back on.
Peruse the "Display" and Gui settings.
Toggle the settings of the VPR box in the upper right and toggle the "draft mode" and such on and off.
I think I added a new camera at one point.
This might be the one that worked and it sounds the least reasonable. Open the fiberfx panel. Click on anywhere in the panel that doesn't have a button but isn't the Mac or Windows bars above the window. Then click anywhere on the layout screen (not the side or bottom or top panels but the perspective of camera).
Try rendering out not in non-VPR mode.

Sorry couldn't provide an accurate answer. I have no idea if these will work. But it finally went away and I haven't seen it since.

prometheus
07-25-2014, 03:56 PM
I also had some issues with it, I had to save and close the scene, close and reboot lightwave and then it showed up.

ChristopherVFX
07-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Sorry couldn't provide an accurate answer. I have no idea if these will work. But it finally went away and I haven't seen it since.

Any advice you can give is a big help, even if you don't know specifically what the answer is.

Thanks again, guys. I've been having kind of a rough time with Lightwave as I've had some difficulty finding really good tutorials on what it is I'm wanting, but I found a few recently. Both that, and you guys on this forum have helped me try thinking outside of my normal processes.