PDA

View Full Version : Octane instance textures vs LW instance textures

Carlo_Jongen
07-22-2014, 04:27 AM
I was trying to replicate the random textures for instances in Octane. I finally came up with a node tree that looks like this.

It seams harder in Octane to pass through an Alpha from one node to the other. I was wondering if this could be done more easier in Octane. Also in LW you can take as much inputs in the gradient node, in Octane it is limited to 10 inputs.
Is this the only way to do the random textures for instances in Octane?
I miss some node in & outputs like in the standard LW gradient node and the LW image node.

Thanks for any tips concerning Octane, I'm still in the learning fase :-)

Freelance Lightwave Animation at www.c3d.be

Lewis
07-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Yes we need gradient node like LW one, this Octane version is problematic if you want definite colors and not mix of two (gradient) for instances 'coz right nwo if oyu set key position 1 RED and 2 Bleu you'll get all kind of shades between those two. LW has STEP input in gradient so you can easily set as much as you want keys/colors.

Carlo_Jongen
07-22-2014, 06:36 AM
I thought the "Smooth keys" option in the Octane Gradient was the way to have either step or a smooth falloff. Didn't test if my presumption is correct... I don't mind that Octane uses its own nodes but I do hope that Octane will have some similar options compared to the standard LW nodes. I'm trying to build up some scenes but I always go back to the standard LW nodes because either I don't know how to replicate the effect that I want or Octane doesn't have this functionality yet.

juanjgon
08-04-2014, 01:42 AM
The last daily build has a new gradient node that is easier to configure and support step colors:
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40793&sid=3d60cbb3df2245a3739c8c3f61b432a6

-Juanjo

Lewis
08-04-2014, 02:00 AM
Yes, this new gradient Texture is much better for instances and exact colors. Thanks Juan.

Carlo_Jongen
08-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks Juanjo for joining this thread and to point out the new gradient node. I think it would be a good idea to pass through the Alpha as well in this node. Just a suggestion and thanks again.