PDA

View Full Version : Menus all black after display driver crash

Paul W
07-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Hello all, first post here.

I have a issue were my display driver crashes, then Lightwave does not run properly, even after a reboot. Please see attached image. The only way I have been able to get it to run properly is to un install, shut down and then re install Lightwave.

My laptop has a GTX 880m 8gb card with the current driver. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Paul W

spherical
07-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Deleting and letting LightWave recreate configs, as opposed to a full uninstall, doesn't work?

zapper1998
07-20-2014, 11:12 PM
what error message do you get...

have you looked in the "Event Viewer" to see what errors have occured...

Paul W
07-21-2014, 08:14 AM
I am unfamiliar with the event viewer function. I will find it and see what error it is kicking out. Thanks for the help guys1

Paul W.

spherical
07-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Event Viewer is in Administrative Tools group in the menu if you're using a standard Windows menu. If in Win8 without Classic Shell, use Search or open Run... and enter "eventvwr.msc" . The file can be found at: %windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Paul W
07-21-2014, 05:17 PM
The error reads:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor ID: 0

I have uninstalled and re installed with no luck, all black menus. Modeler runs fine, Layout is the one that does not run. As a last resort I can export to AutoCAd and render, but that will take some time to set up. a dead line so I might have to do just that.

AutoCAD 2014 and Photoshop CS6 still run fine.

Paul W

spherical
07-22-2014, 12:14 AM
AMD CPU?

Google the relevant strings in the Event Viewer report. I've seen reports of PSU failing, offending CPU core failing, BIOS reset to defaults cured one instance.

Tried starting in Safe Mode?
Are the LW applications installed in /Program Files directory?
Did you install while logged in as Administrator?
Was the installer file run As Administrator?
Does 32-bit Layout run correctly?

Paul W
07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, no mater what I do my menus stay black. I can model all day long, just can't use layout to render. It was nice while it ran with no problems (I bought Lightwave 2 months ago) Right now I am using another package and we are going to stop using Lightwave for the time being as we can not resolve the issue.

spherical
07-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Well, that's strange. Have never seen/heard of this before.
Not having any feedback on the questions, I can't go any further.

BeeVee
07-28-2014, 02:53 AM
When you say "current", what version are you talking about? Also, make sure LightWave is completely exited (including the Hub), go to your c:\users\<user>\.newtek\LightWave\11.6.3 directory and delete these files:

Extension Cache-64
LW11-64.CFG
LWEXT11-64.CFG
LWHUB11-64.CFG
LWM11-64.CFG

Then try restarting Layout.

B