PDA

View Full Version : Platform Programmers

jasonwestmas
11-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Is there a mental handicap in programming for the Macintosh OSX platform or what? I use to only think there was a lack of support for 3D software on the Mac but now I'm hearing stuff about Macromedia giving up on Macintosh 2D apps. and only focusing on Windows stuff. This doesn't make sense to me because Macs clearly reign in the 2D department. OR maybe just in 2D print. This is all very confusing to me, is it because OSX is such a new OS?

Pensart
11-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Hi Jason,

Where did u hear the macromedia rumour ( hope it is a rumour )

jasonwestmas
11-25-2003, 12:49 AM
All this banter makes me think Apple and Newtek are trying to fit square bolt into a round hole with a sledge hammer. A bit of an exaggeration but that's the way all this is sounding. Like I've said before, what's so difficult with 3D softtware on the Mac anyway. I like your cat by the way.

This was written by Fab Media in the Panther 10.3.2 thread started by JimZip.

"Well to add my 2... I would have to agree that playback of shockwave and flash content is much slower on Macs than on PCs. Why? I don't know, but I've given up on those issues. Macromedia is really only developing for the PC platform now and in a new release of products points out it shows.

But thats a mute point. As for whether the new 10.3.2 will fix anything? I'm not too sure if it will or wont. When it comes down to the crunch, developers will blame Apple for 'screwing things up' and the Apple will tell the developers to 'write cleaner code' or 'learn to write clean code.

I just hate all the bantering and want to use my programs without any hassle."

This complies with other 'rumors' I've heard outside of the internet. I honestly don't see a speed difference in Flash between the two platforms. Of course they look a little different when you take a file made on a Mac and put it on Windows computer.

I too am bothered by these so called developer screwups. I mean where's the difficulty here. I don't have any of these problems in Windows XP. I just get smooth functionability with all the compatibility, all the plugins and all with the occasional crash and reload in XP. I'd take that over this OSX confusion any day. I love my Mac when it works with the software but I hate the intetionally messy or incompetent programming. That's gotta be the reason for this. Otherwise the same would be happening in XP. Many of you would slap me for saying so but this could all be industrial sabatoge or at least propaganda, I'm not sure. Maybe someone is doing this to Apple on purpose? Silly, you might say but hasn't Apple had these problems ever since OSX came out in 2000? I don't know, this is all strange to me. I'm just trying to dig up some discussions about this subject in wondering if this has ever been discussed before in this kind of context. Wouldn't doubt if this thread is deleted before tomarrow morning.

drclare
11-25-2003, 12:54 AM
I doubt that it is lack of knowledge of writing for OS X, i think it is more that not as much money and research is put into programming for Macs, all the resources go into the PC side. It seems like OS X made programming for Mac a lot easier, look at all the new freeware and shareware apps available for Mac once X came out. I don't know, but it is very disheartening hearing rumors about no more Mac support.:(

jasonwestmas
11-25-2003, 01:10 AM
I agree. Another thing I wanted to add is that neither Windows or macOs was ever a great thing to begin with untill 2000. But OSX and Win2000 was a very big leap in my opinion. Before 2000 Mac ruled the print industry poorly and PC ruled everything else poorly when compared to today. Im not really up on my OS history but does this money funding thing really sum up the answer to these questions?
Thanks for the responses

drclare
11-25-2003, 02:16 AM
Well, first i would say that before Mac ruled the video world, then they slipped a little, and now they are back on track what with FCP. I agree about the 2000 thing. Windows sucked until 2000 came out, i don't care much for XP, but still really like 2000pro. And pre X mac OS were very crashy, but OS X is fantastic. As far as the funding being the issue, i don't really know since im not in the programming world, but i would say that as with everything, yes, it always comes down to the money.

riki
11-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Mirage has just been released for the Mac re: http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/

Ade
11-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Macromedia is selling well on macs, thats the dumbest umour ive heard since the iraqi war isnt about oil.

eblu
11-25-2003, 08:33 AM
ade,
let me start off by saying I have heard NO RUMORS about macromedia.

but... the idea that Macromedia makes its decisions based on a limited comparison, of the mac market to the mac market, is not reasonable. And I think it goes right to the heart of the discussion. Macromedia could be selling 2 products to each mac user per day, and still not hit the kind of volume sales they are experiencing in the PC software market. Add to that, the fact that Microsoft has a huge stake in Macromedia and for the moment is whispering sweet nothings into its ear... and you get a Company that could very well think the land of milk and honey is paved with PC software sales.

Now That too is a nearsighted viewpoint, but one more in line with the reality. Companies see no ROI (return on investment) when it comes to developing for the mac, and its not because the mac isn't profitable, its because, for as profitable the mac market can be... the PC market is MUCH MORE profitable.

What winds up happening to mac software developers that focus on PC developing, just my opinion btw, is that the mac software quality flounders, as the development for PCs take up more and more resources, and then the general quality of the product flounders, because there is no longer any attention paid to all of the things that made the software great in the first place, on the mac.

3d however, is a different story.
OpengGL on the pc is old. Its mature, and all of the flaws are documented, and new programmers are taught that "that's the way it is". OpenGL on the mac goes through a rebirth every time Apple updates OSX. And 3d developers have to use skill sets that they rarely use. This takes time and effort. So while users are getting a better 3d implementation (a thing developers have been screaming about for a decade), now the developers are under the screws, to keep aiming at a moving target.

combine that, with a lack of need to develop for the mac platform and you get the modern corporate software publisher's viewpoint: "lets hire one guy to do the port." an inelegant, economical, way to almost satisfy the customer.

my 2 cents
-eblu

skuwamoto
12-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi folks.

I'm a long time mac guy (I first started programming on macs on a Mac 128 in college...), so I can relate to the concern that the mac community has from time to time.

That having been said, I happen to be in a good position to squash this particular rumor. We're working on mac products as hard as ever.

Thanks,

-Sho
--
Sho Kuwamoto
VP of Product Development
HTML Products
www.macromedia.com

toby
12-01-2003, 11:49 PM
right from the source!

Boo-yow!

:D

archiea
12-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Incidently, to clear the record on history......

First, the AMIGA reign the video market, then the PC, and now (hopefuly) Apple....

Don't even start with me on this or I'll go for the jugular... as soon as I find out what a jugluar is......:D

drclare
12-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Im sorry archiea, because i do value my jugular, but although yes i agree that the amiga was the first ruler of digital video what with the Video Toaster, but i still think that the mac was next. Wasn't Avid originally a mac program which then adopted the PC as PCs became more popular? I mean of course today there are the huge flame wars about Macs vs. PCs, but in the old days i don't think it is a debate that PCs were not even close to Macs. Am i wrong?

archiea
12-03-2003, 01:49 AM
That is true, the mac help place NLE into the mainstream in production, while the Amiga brought it to the masses....

it interesting to see how software based editors have a bit of a diferent market that HW based one.. i.e the toaster...

mlinde
12-03-2003, 10:11 AM
And then came...
The Symphony of the DEAD
(a.k.a. Avid Symphony for Windows NT)
Here's some entertainment along those lines: Symphony of the Dead (http://homepage.mac.com/mlinde/movies/sotd.mov)

Created by the Mac Avid programmers around the release of Avid Symphony.

drclare
12-03-2003, 12:41 PM
That's hilarious!