PDA

View Full Version : Layout crashes, now won't launch

jeric_synergy
07-19-2014, 04:41 PM
So, been playing with ClothFX (and hating it), and not very surprisingly Layout crashed.

No biggy. Dismissed the (useless) bug reporter dialog and doubleclicked the Layout icon to relaunch it, but... no relaunch.

I'm just about to reboot, but my question is:

Is this likely to be a result of garbage left behind in the computer RAM due to the crash, or some weirdness of a file that was opened and never closed?

In a related question: am I wasting my time futzing with ClothFX, in that is it actively supported/developed by LW3dG, or are all their energies going into Bullet?

spherical
07-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Whenever you get a crash, the memory pool should be considered to be corrupted or, at the very least, fragmented to general detriment.

Dodgy
07-19-2014, 09:33 PM
No, you're not wasting time with ClothFX, it still does things that Bullet doesn't, and I find it really depends on the situation as to which I find fastest or more accurate. My docs on the Lightwiki should help you out with the old FX dynamics.

sampei
07-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Whenever you get a crash, the memory pool should be considered to be corrupted or, at the very least, fragmented to general detriment.
so it's ideal to reboot after every crash?

jeric_synergy
07-20-2014, 09:24 AM
My docs on the Lightwiki should help you out with the old FX dynamics.
Mike, I'm rummaging thru Lightwiki, are your docs in the LEARN section, under dynamics?

(It's a very slow coffeeshop connection...)

spherical
07-20-2014, 04:07 PM
so it's ideal to reboot after every crash?

It's inevitable when an application crashes that it hasn't gracefully closed and cleaned up after itself. The amount of cruft left in memory, locks on files, etc., varies from situation to situation, as all crashes are not the same. So, yes, if you want to have the best chance of continuing unimpeded, reboot and get a fresh memory pool to work in. Otherwise, you're asking for more instability when, for instance, the system thinks that a certain memory range is available and actually isn't.