PDA

View Full Version : Cody Bullet tutorial: construction of example objects: surfacing ??

jeric_synergy
07-19-2014, 04:29 PM
In this tutorial:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/lightwave-115-forces-tutorial/

LW3dG's Cody demonstrates Bullet forces, but my question is about the example objects.

One object is a 'solid' rectangular array of cubes, that are disrupted by the Bullet objects. Each cube has a different color.

Obviously a user could create such an array by hand, but there are hundreds of cubes and I'm pretty sure Cody didn't Surface them all manually.

So, if one wanted to create a similar object, what's the practical way to differently surface dozens or hundreds of items?

Thanks.

jeric_synergy
07-19-2014, 05:34 PM
My first go at it is using "Python Instance Baker".... that I'm typing this shows you how fast it is, if indeed it isn't in some endless loop....

++++
"Python Instance Baker" makes a COPY of each instance in the Scene: it does NOT generate a new LWO composed of duplicates of the instanced mesh. ::sigh::

Also, it's quite slow. And I don't know if it makes appropriate Surfaces if one is using Nodal Surface Instance Differentiation (NSID). ;)

+++
This is the effect I'm going after, but for hundreds of objects. This was manually done using the "Select N Pattern" facility:

To reiterate: an Instance Baker that creates ONE object from all the instances of a given Generator.
The cherry on top would be if it accurately created the proper Surfaces.

jeric_synergy
07-19-2014, 06:30 PM
D'uh! DPKit to the rescue. Damn, that took a while for the dawn to break.....

Still, I'm sure there's some way to do it Olde School: probably something like the plugin used to make the wires for the Speedmodeling competition....

BeeVee
07-21-2014, 05:50 AM
If you look at the 11.6 addendum, page 68, there's a whole explanation of how to texture instances. Y'know? RTFM? ;)

B

jeric_synergy
07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi BeeVee: in this case I wanted to do it Olde School. Used "Select N Pattern" to facilitate.

I don't THINK these are Instances, if you are using the specific form of the term. Cody doesn't specify that I heard. And Bullet doesn't work with Instances anyway, n'est ce pas? So, using an Instance solution wouldn't apply anyway.