PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Windows Tablet for Sketching...

robertoortiz
07-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Hey guys I am looking to buy a windows tablet that enough power to run a programs like ToonBoom and Adobe Illustrator. So that means that the stylus for me is a big deal.
I am looking for tablets Under $500 and under 1,000.
Any advice on what i should get?
Thanks,
-R

ianr
07-19-2014, 07:59 AM
May I suggest looking at a S/H Windows Surface Pro2
As you know it breaks or makes up & Tablet
& a Laptop + proper USB3.
Change 2 Dual boot Win 7 & 8 for apps if you have to,
or for LW then win 7.
( i'd check out close-outs on E bay)
It has been much maligned,but its Quad Core.
And 3rdPowers Devs love it!
Also runs LW very well.

meatycheesyboy
07-19-2014, 12:27 PM
When the Surface Pro 2 came out I bought a Surface Pro 1 for $400 as they were trying to clearance them out. Now that the Surface Pro 3 is out, you might be able to find a Surface Pro 2 for a similar price.

I bought mine for Zbrush and Sketchbook Pro and it handles them both great so while I haven't used it with ToonBoom or Illustrator, I would definitely recommend it.

rednova
07-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Dear Friend:
A long time ago I bought a used wacom tablet (don't remember exact name) from EBAY for only us $ 70.
It was super, it really worked, it was nice, and it was under $ 100 price.
It was really good, but I later found that I rather use lightwave with original mouse without a tablet
(I tried using the tablet to work with lightwave 3d).It was good, but I decided not to use it.
I recommend getting a used wacom tablet from ebay, it probably works and won't cost an arm and a leg.
Hope this helps !!!

hazmat777
07-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Unless you are traveling to work or something on public transport and have to work on your way, I'd agree with rednova on this. I've tried a bunch of different things on the buses here in Seattle and none of them worked out for me. Maybe it's because the roads have become so bad, you can't keep anything "together" without losing your mind. I'm still happy with my Wacom tablet at home and just read on the buses these days.

jeric_synergy
07-19-2014, 05:54 PM
2 (3 if you count me) Seattlites in the same thread! What are the odds?

madno
07-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Robertoortiz,
in case you did not find it already, here is a good starting point to gather information and opinions about pen devices.

http://surfaceproartist.com
http://surfaceproartist.com/reviews-1/

ianr
07-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Rob,
This Page shows 59 GFX apps working on Surface Pro, inc LW.11.6.3. & ChronoS

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/5/29/surface-pro-3-what-runs-what-doesnt

Useful maybe : 3rdPowers Main Video show LW & Cage Deformer running on this.

jwiede
07-20-2014, 06:23 PM
I am a Microsoft employee (in the Devices division), just to be open about potential sources of bias. That said, I purchased a Surface Pro (1) with my own money at market price, and have been very happy with it, esp. with the Wacom support. I was a bit apprehensive upon hearing the Surface Pro 3 wasn't using Wacom tablet tech, but artists I trust seem okay with the new tech (http://www.wpcentral.com/penny-arcade-on-surface-pro-3-n-trig-pen-dont-worry). I'll likely upgrade to the Pro 3 when funds permit, though I'll likely wait until the first big price drops.

Julez4001
07-21-2014, 07:00 AM
I have suracePro I and will be upgrading to Surface 3 soon.
Photoshop and Zbrush runs fantastic on it , get the AutoKey template for larger icons but take a mouse with you when you want to run Lightwave ...pen tool as always been iffy with me..personally.

UnCommonGrafx
07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I've contemplated building one of these:
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2379.0

To be complete, the key tool is here: http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=47

BokadCastle
07-21-2014, 07:25 PM
I have a Surface Pro 2 - I took it to Europe for a couple of months last christmas.
It was and is just great.
I added an MS keyboard and stylus (maybe the stylus came as standard, forget).
The keyboard has stylus pad area.
I wouldn't bother with a Wacom when travelling - just more baggage.

Davewriter
07-21-2014, 08:38 PM
If you can stretch out a couple more $... I have the Pro 2 and love it. But the Pro 3 is about half the size and weight. And faster.

jwiede
07-22-2014, 04:04 AM
I have a Surface Pro 2 - I took it to Europe for a couple of months last christmas.
It was and is just great.
I added an MS keyboard and stylus (maybe the stylus came as standard, forget).
The keyboard has stylus pad area.
I wouldn't bother with a Wacom when travelling - just more baggage.
Your Surface Pro 2 has a built-in Wacom pen sensor under the screen (and should come with a stylus), it's both a touchscreen and a pen screen. You shouldn't need a separate Wacom tablet.

ianr
07-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Okay Rob,
I thought I would throw this in the mix, It's not portable but....

Cintiq-like performance for $399. 19" draw-on screen.

The Monoprice 10707 or The Huion Gt190.

You must have the best N trig Win Tab drivers for these
by Huion. A friend just got one I am impressed by
its fluidity of line even on the lastest Photoshop
no stutter... I think there's a dem on YouTube

Greenlaw
07-24-2014, 04:40 PM
I've been holding out for the Surface Pro 3, but will wait a while after it's released and after I've seen more reviews from working artists using this tablet. Last I read, beta testers were still seeing a bit of lag when drawing in Photoshop but MS expects to have that fixed in the release version. The hardware specs otherwise seem pretty impressive for a tablet.

Though I have to say, even though I was very excited about the SP3 a few months ago, now I'm slightly less enthusiastic now because the cost of a fully loaded SP3 really isn't that far from the cost of the Wacom Companion running Win 8. MS's decision to switch from Wacom penabled to Ntrig didn't help either. Because the price difference isn't so dramatic now, I'm eyeing the Wacom Companion again. But I'll wait and see.

BTW, I still use my aging HP tm2 'Wacom-enabled' Tablet PC heavily for drawing and 3D animation. 'Happy Box' and our recent short 'Scareplane' were mostly animated on this convertable laptop, and I run Lightwave on it every day. Not that I recommend buying a 5 year old Tablet PC (I don't!)--these days it will be cheaper and smarter to go with newer gear. :p

G.

Silkrooster
07-27-2014, 12:47 AM
I am thinking about the surface 3, for portability. If that was not an issue, then I probably would have gone toward the cintiq. The price is about the same, but being tied to a computer is not always a good idea. But eventually I will need one or the other as drawing just is not that natural for me with the Intuos 3. I like looking where I am drawing.

The surface gives more bang for its buck though, even though I am not certain on its pressure sensitivity if any.

Greenlaw
07-27-2014, 01:26 AM
The Cintiq Companion (http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/CintiqCompanion/en/) isn't tied to a desktop computer, it's an actual Windows 8 tablet you can use on the go. It's pricey though.

However, while the Surface Pro 3 can be bought much cheaper, if you order one fully loaded it can become almost as expensive as the Cintiq Companion. Then the question you need to ask is do you want a genuine Wacom with 2048 levels of pressure or can you settle for the Surface Pro 3's Ntrig with only 256 levels of pressure? Early reports are saying that Ntrig is probably fine for most users but I really want to try this myself before buying. Also, I really want to see if the lag issue that's been reported with the SP 3 is fixed.

Another option is the Cintiq Companion Hybrid, which is a much cheaper Android based version of Companion. The neat thing about this model is that, when you're home or in the office, you can plug it into any desktop and use it like a regular Cintiq. When it's plugged in, you can access the data from the tablet and move it to your desktop computer. The 'downside' is that, being an Android tablet, when you're out and about you're not going to run your favorite Win programs on it (like LightWave.) But there are some good Android apps out there for drawing, painting, storyboarding, etc., so it's a good option for some artists.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I still use my HP tm2 tablet PC for daily work, which includes using programs like LightWave, 3D Coat, ZBrush, Fusion, After Effects, Vegas, Photoshop, Manga Studio, Anime Studio, etc., but I surprised myself a few months ago when I found that my preferred way to draw and paint concept art has been with an iPad Retina and a Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus (http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-creative-stylus). This 2048 level pressure sensitive stylus works amazingly well with a program called Procreate (http://procreate.si/). When I'm done with a painting, I have Procreate send it to my Dropbox so I immediately have access to the artwork on my tablet PC or workstation. The iPad/Wacom Intuos/Procreate combo won't do nearly everything I do with my tablet PC, but for me it's been more convenient and in many way a better tool for sketching and painting on the go.

G.

Greenlaw
07-27-2014, 01:53 AM
(Of course, this is from the guy who used a hacked Nintendo DS Lite to draw concept art for a couple of commercial jobs. That was fun and it worked out well at the time...but I don't recommend it.) :p

G.

Silkrooster
07-27-2014, 11:53 PM
The Cintiq Companion (http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/CintiqCompanion/en/) isn't tied to a desktop computer, it's an actual Windows 8 tablet you can use on the go. It's pricey though.

However, while the Surface Pro 3 can be bought much cheaper, if you order one fully loaded it can become almost as expensive as the Cintiq Companion. Then the question you need to ask is do you want a genuine Wacom with 2048 levels of pressure or can you settle for the Surface Pro 3's Ntrig with only 256 levels of pressure? Early reports are saying that Ntrig is probably fine for most users but I really want to try this myself before buying. Also, I really want to see if the lag issue that's been reported with the SP 3 is fixed.

Another option is the Cintiq Companion Hybrid, which is a much cheaper Android based version of Companion. The neat thing about this model is that, when you're home or in the office, you can plug it into any desktop and use it like a regular Cintiq. When it's plugged in, you can access the data from the tablet and move it to your desktop computer. The 'downside' is that, being an Android tablet, when you're out and about you're not going to run your favorite Win programs on it (like LightWave.) But there are some good Android apps out there for drawing, painting, storyboarding, etc., so it's a good option for some artists.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I still use my HP tm2 tablet PC for daily work, which includes using programs like LightWave, 3D Coat, ZBrush, Fusion, After Effects, Vegas, Photoshop, Manga Studio, Anime Studio, etc., but I surprised myself a few months ago when I found that my preferred way to draw and paint concept art has been with an iPad Retina and a Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus (http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-creative-stylus). This 2048 level pressure sensitive stylus works amazingly well with a program called Procreate (http://procreate.si/). When I'm done with a painting, I have Procreate send it to my Dropbox so I immediately have access to the artwork on my tablet PC or workstation. The iPad/Wacom Intuos/Procreate combo won't do nearly everything I do with my tablet PC, but for me it's been more convenient and in many way a better tool for sketching and painting on the go.

G.

Yeah I think the tablet I was referring to was the cintiq HD, which is tied to the computer. But I think the hybrid is closer in price.

Greenlaw
07-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah but the Hybrid is an Android tablet so no Lightwave.

Also, remember that the Surface Pro 3 does hit $2k when you start loading it up to be more in line with the Cintiq Companion Windows tablet, which I think goes for around $2500. (Just checked--it's on sale now for $2150. Hmm. Still pretty expensive, although that's about what I paid for my HP tm2 several years ago when it was on sale.)

It really comes down to what you want to do with it. If the tablet is a replacement for a regular laptop or desktop that you use for 3D, it's going to be pricey whether you go with the Surfarce Pro 3 or Cintiq Companion. Then the tradeoff to consider is, do you want more cpu power (I think Surface Pro may have the edge there--need to check on that,) or do you want genuine Wacom hardware (i.e., 2k pressure, Intuous Stylus, Expresskeys, etc.) If 3D is not the primary use for the tablet, you could go with a far less expensive model.

To be honest, I really can't decide. Sigh! :)

G.

Greenlaw
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Then again, when I think about how I use my aging tm2, I don't do much 3D rendering on this computer because it's really not powerful enough for that (for production animation anyway.) When I do 3D work on this tablet PC, it's mainly modeling, rigging and animation, and I save the rendering tasks for the render farm at my home studio or at work. ZBrush, 3D-Coat, Vegas, AE and Fusion all run fine on this machine, as do many drawing and painting programs I use for concepts, storyboards and comics.

So, I guess you don't really need a fully loaded tablet to get a lot of work done, especially if you can offload cpu intensive tasks like rendering to other, more powerful computers.

I think the main weakness with any of the newer Windows tablets is going to be the graphics chipset. Surface Pro 3 uses Intel HD and Cintiq Companion has an Nvidia GPU with 72 core, so Wacom has the edge there.

G.

ernesttx
07-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Greenlaw, I'm in the same boat as you. I will probably go with the Wacom Companion. I did a search for GPU on the Companion and it uses Intel HD 4000 to. The 72 cores is in the NVidia Tegra in the Hybrid. Taken from: http://www.wacom.com/en/in/overlays/articles/2013/in-971

Cintiq Comapnion
Operating System: Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro
Processor: 3rd generation IntelŽ Core™ i-7-3517U processor, 1.9 GHz
Graphics Card: IntelŽ HD Graphics 4000
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
Hard Disk Storage: 256 GB or 512 GB solid state drive
Additional Storage: Micro SD slot
Battery: 7.4 V, Li-polymer
Battery Life: 64.4 Wh

Cintiq Comapnion Hybrid
Operating System: Android™ 4.2, Jelly Bean
Processor: NvidiaŽ TegraŽ 4 Quad-core processor
Graphics Card: NvidiaŽ GPU with 72 graphics cores
RAM: 2 GB DDR3
Hard Disk Storage: 16 GB or 32 GB
Additional Storage: Micro SD slot
Battery: 7.4 V, Li-polymer
Battery Life: 48.5 Wh or 72.8 Wh

Greenlaw
07-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Ah, okay, thanks for the correction about the Nvidia GPU. Will keep that in mind.

I'm leaning more towards Wacom at the moment because of the sale. I wasn't planning on buying anything for several months to a year though, and only sooner if my tablet PC suddenly gave up the ghost. Wish Wacom would stop teasing me. :)

I wonder if the sale means something new is coming. Hmm.

G.

ernesttx
07-29-2014, 06:53 AM
That's what I am thinking. Their discount was at 200 a few months back, now it's $350. So, hoping a new one is coming with a Haswell in it, maybe redesign or graphics bump. I can wait. I just installed Toonboom Harmony on my MS Surface Pro 1 and things are going well. So, I can wait a bit longer and see what appears on the market.