PDA

View Full Version : Call For French Lightwave Companies, Freelancers & Artists Contact Informations

grabiller
07-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Hi,

I would like to compile a list and setup a database as complete as possible of all the french Ligthwave companies, professional freelancers and artists.

If you know a french company using Lightwave please post its name and contact informations (website,..). Same for freelancers & artists.

Feel free to point me to any existing list or databases as well.

If you are a freelancer or a professional artist and don't want to post your name or contact informations on a public forum, feel free to send me a private message.

Perhaps Newtek already has a list of french customers but I don't know if they are willing to share such a list. If you are from Newtek and think this could be possible, don't hesitate to contact me privately.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Guy.

CaptainMarlowe
07-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Sorry, I'm French, but not a professional freelancer (yet). I'm just an enlightened hobbyist ! Good luck with your list.

grabiller
07-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Sorry, I'm French, but not a professional freelancer (yet). I'm just an enlightened hobbyist ! Good luck with your list.

No problem, "enlightened hobbyists" are welcome to this list as long as their goal is to work as a professional artist/freelancer at some point. In my first message the use of the word "professional" meant peoples who can be hired or can bill for their work on a legal POV either for an existing production company or for a production environment setup for a specific project.

Also if you have some friends or know other french professional freelancers/artists don't hesitate to point me to them (here or via private message if you prefer).

Cheers,
Guy.

CaptainMarlowe
07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
In my first message the use of the word "professional" meant peoples who can be hired or can bill for their work on a legal POV either for an existing production company or for a production environment setup for a specific project.

That's the point. Although I do sell some stuff on Turbosquid and similar sites to pay for my upgrades & plug-ins, my real job status doesn't allow me to be hired for a paid job (in other words, I'm only allowed to get royalties). In a few years, when I'm pre-retired, I will be able to work as a freelancer... but that's 7 years from now !! :)

Kevbarnes
07-18-2014, 01:28 PM
That's the point. Although I do sell some stuff on Turbosquid and similar sites to pay for my upgrades & plug-ins, my real job status doesn't allow me to be hired for a paid job (in other words, I'm only allowed to get royalties). In a few years, when I'm pre-retired, I will be able to work as a freelancer... but that's 7 years from now !! :)

do the French still retire at 45

CaptainMarlowe
07-18-2014, 11:38 PM
It is supposed to be fun ? Because it's just insulting. I usually don't get angry on forums, but I can't stand this kind of pseudo-funny French bashing. If you ave nothing clever to say, then don't say anything.

shrox
07-18-2014, 11:40 PM
I do not live in France, but I am willing to learn.

CaptainMarlowe
07-18-2014, 11:54 PM
To learn what ? If French people don't work more than 4 hours a day and retire at 45 ? Standard week schedule is 35 hours (most of people work more) and retirement is 62 which full retirement pay at 67.
As for myself, my status is too specific to be compared with standard work, except if we compare with equivalents of other countries.

grabiller
07-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Common guys,

We are not here to discuss about the french way of living or working but just to setup a list of french Lightwave companies, artists/technicals, freelancers,..

Please stick to it. Feel free to open a discussion in another thread if you feel the need.

Thanks,
Guy.

CaptainMarlowe
07-19-2014, 12:01 AM
You're right. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

shrox
07-19-2014, 10:18 AM
To learn what ? If French people don't work more than 4 hours a day and retire at 45 ? Standard week schedule is 35 hours (most of people work more) and retirement is 62 which full retirement pay at 67.
As for myself, my status is too specific to be compared with standard work, except if we compare with equivalents of other countries.

In other words, I'd like to be there....

Kevbarnes
07-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Because it's just insulting.

Oops - Sorry - I apologise.
it wasn't meant to be insulting I was simply implying that you could be younger than one might think! ie - 7 years less than 45 = 38.
no offence was intended.

:bowdown:

CaptainMarlowe
07-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I guess I have overreacted, sorry for that. ;)
But I am a bit older than 38, actually... and I was talking about pre-retirement, which is a special opportunity linked to my current job. OFC, the pension, then, is quite inferior to what it could be with a full pension, but it may be enough to guarantee a decent living if combined with some freelance job. I have to reach 28 years of service before, and I also want to have paid a house to my family before going for something more uncertain... :)
Anyway, I think we should move on not to hijack the OP thread.

jeric_synergy
07-20-2014, 09:58 AM
I envy the French animators. SIdenote: wasn't France a big XSI community?

FWIW, for quite a while BeeVee has/does lived in France, perhaps he has a list of LWers.

CaptainMarlowe
07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't know if France was a big XSI community (but you may be right, as I think that SUPINFOCOM students were using XSI a lot), but I don't think that Lightwavers are a lot in France, alas. Maybe because of the lack of documentation in French ? The various tries to create a French LW forum in the past, I believe, have all failed in a relative short amount of time.

omichon
07-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't think that Lightwavers are a lot in France, alas. Maybe because of the lack of documentation in French ?
I tried to address this lack of French documentation with some commercial training (http://www.elephorm.com/3d/formation-lightwave/apprendre-lightwave-3d-v-09.html) but it was a relative success, since it hasn't paid for the time spent on it despite some really good feedback from some people who purchased it. Maybe it was just a bad timing or the French LightWave community was already weak at that time. The training was also available in English (http://tutorial.elephorm.com/3d-graphics-tutorials/lightwave-3d/learning-lightwave-9-english.html), translated by our fellow Beevee.

That said, Guy I don't know what this list is for, but I am a French LightWave professional freelancer :)

papou
07-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Lightwave was used in France. Not anymore.

Lightwave still used most by freelancers, and small studios like mine: IjinProd

In Paris, i know severals 555labs, Butterfly Studio, Animea, Gigotin, ... Partizan Midi-Minuit, Nightshift, DreamOn still have licences.

Ask to Newtek for contact, and you become sad... no freelancers or company list... Only 1 school teaching Lightwave, ESAA Aquitaine... then you have to go to Spain to hire talents.

France is more 3Dsmax and Maya.

About Lightwave French Forum, "relative short of time" is well relative. There was Frenchwave.fr, now there is LWF.fr but there is a lack of participation: peoples are busy.
I haven't see you there CaptainMarlowe.

CaptainMarlowe
07-20-2014, 11:24 PM
As you say, I was discouraged to register because of the lack of activity. Less than 1000 messages in 3 years of existence is to me pretty clear, unfortunately. The LW section of 3DVF doesn't seem to be in a better shape either.

brownie
07-21-2014, 02:00 AM
I'm one of the French Lightwavers. I work in the South of France.
This post is an opportunity to thank Papou and some others for their help in the now dead FrenchWave forum and on LWF.

For those who don't work in a network, I mean poor lonesome designers like me, Lightwave is one of the best choices. So I don't plan to switch to another package.

BeeVee
07-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Salut,

I teach LightWave to architects and "infographistes" at ESAA Aquitaine (http://www.esaa-aquitaine.com/) :)

B

grabiller
07-21-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks all for your informations. That's a start.

@jeric_synergy
France had quite a lot of professional XSI users, indeed (which is different from having a "big" community, but this is a typical french issue I guess), and big projects have been done with it.

@CaptainMarlowe
I believe having documentation in french is irrelevant on a professional level as you inevitably almost always have to use english tools sooner or later (and even communicate in english if you go to other countries for specific projects as most do sooner or later as well), not mentioning potential international clients you may have to deal with. Nowadays, not understanding a word of english is a serious issue if you want to work in computer graphics and especially in 3D.

@papou:
With the (small) list you gave of french companies still using Lightwave, I think it safe to say that Lightwave is still used in France, actually. That's not that bad.

Regarding communities, I believe there is a difference between their own activities and the actual number of software users. As you say peoples may be busy and not everyone is willing to spend his time on a forum. I've been surprised myself about this regarding french XSI/Softimage users by meeting quite some of them who never participated in any forum or community activity but ended working a lot, in France or elsewhere. Especially peoples who have nothing to prove, so they don't feel the need to "show-off" on a forum. You tend to have much more participation from peoples starting and seeking for a job or from hobbyists who often have more time to spend.

@brownie:
Do you have a website or something ?

@BeeVee:
Congrats for being the last school in France teaching Lightwave. That's interesting. That means every year there are new french Ligthwavers on the market. How many per year, actually ? Is this number steady ?

@omichon
Regarding what this list is for, perhaps I should have made some introduction or something. However in any professional environment I found it so natural to somewhere have a list of companies and competent peoples available that I'm always astonished not to find one. For instance for XSI/Softimage you could have access to this kind of informations from the well known french Softimage distributor. So I found it quite "natural" to try to create such a list without explaining why.

That said, and as Newtek Europe disappeared, or is now 3D Storm, and as they don't really care about Lightwave anymore (I phoned them actually) but only video broadcast hardwares and tools from Newtek, there is no more the concept of a Lightwave 3d distributor for French or even Europe. Obviously that means no effort to penetrate the french market anymore. That does not means Lightwave is dead in France, there are still a few companies and perhaps not so few users left.

So this call for french Lightwave companies, freelancers and professional artists is, somehow, to fill the void left by Newtek Europe. Will it be useful ? May be, may be not, it doesn't cost much to do it anyway.

If nobody cares, well, then so be it. But I think this may be a way to try to - perhaps - rebuild something, who knows.

papou
07-21-2014, 07:29 AM
I understand Grabiller. Nice move.
Maybe the best way to start is posting yourself a list of freelances you like to work with?
What about on a shared GoogleDoc that everybody can update like this one:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14azd1dT6v45K6UMzg8EGtU77reZOqmApQYVY6yxx49k/edit?pli=1

omichon
07-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Yes, No doubt it could/will be a useful resource. Good luck with that.

Mastoy
07-21-2014, 08:07 AM
I'm a french freelancer, and a lucky one since I actually have work :)
Sending you my contact infos right away !

CaptainMarlowe
07-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Thanks all for your informations. That's a start.

@CaptainMarlowe
I believe having documentation in french is irrelevant on a professional level as you inevitably almost always have to use english tools sooner or later (and even communicate in english if you go to other countries for specific projects as most do sooner or later as well), not mentioning potential international clients you may have to deal with. Nowadays, not understanding a word of english is a serious issue if you want to work in computer graphics and especially in 3D.

Of course. Yet, I do know a lot of content creators for websites like Renderosity or DAZ3D who don't choose LightWave for their modeling/texturing tasks because of the lack of English documentation. They are freelancers as well, even if of a different nature, making a living on their production, and could benefit from a software like LW. So it may be irrelevant not to have a documentation in French, and yet, maybe not that much.

grabiller
07-21-2014, 09:35 AM
I understand Grabiller. Nice move.
Maybe the best way to start is posting yourself a list of freelances you like to work with?
What about on a shared GoogleDoc that everybody can update like this one:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14azd1dT6v45K6UMzg8EGtU77reZOqmApQYVY6yxx49k/edit?pli=1

Very good idea, indeed, thanks.

Although, I'm a bit concerned about having it completely open like this. There could always be someone who go there and mess up the list completely..

Hmm, I suggest we let it like that for now and see what happen and perhaps later move it to some webpage with a way for peoples to fill a form (and perhaps having an account so they could modify their entry later on).

What do you think ?

@Mastoy
Got it, thanks! Feel free to add yourself to the list:

@CaptainMarlowe
You may have a point here, indeed. However, I doubt having Ligthwave in french would have a big impact on its sales in France. But that's my opinion only, for sure.

CaptainMarlowe
07-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Maybe, yes. I'm a bit like Fox Mulder, here, I want to believe that there is room for more LWers in France. :D

jeric_synergy
07-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Maybe LW3dG/NewTek could have country-by-country fora here on the mothership?

omichon
07-21-2014, 10:03 AM

I have met and train a lot of professionals (freelance or employee) who really missed a French documentation (especially on Mac, don't ask me why). Call it the French cultural exception, but it is a fact and your vision of a professional 3D artist is a bit elitist according to my experience. Not everyone is seeking for an international experience. Of course they are not on this forum to confirm what I am saying :D

grabiller
07-21-2014, 10:22 AM
I have met and train a lot of professionals (freelance or employee) who really missed a French documentation (especially on Mac, don't ask me why). Call it the French cultural exception, but it is a fact and your vision of a professional 3D artist is a bit elitist according to my experience. Not everyone is seeking for an international experience. Of course they are not on this forum to confirm what I am saying :D

Well, may be I am, indeed.

That maybe comes from the fact than when I started almost 2 decades ago, there was no french documentation whatsoever for any piece of hardware nor software available. Starting 3d at that time was a challenge (no internet, no tutorials, no school, ..).

Nowadays when I hear someone (french) not learning a software because it's in english only, I find it hard to swallow and I have a tendency to associate the word 'lazy' with that someone. But may be I'm too old to be fair or indulgent on this point ;-)

Interestingly though, you can't imagine how fast one can learn english when his/her only way to survive is to start to look for a job outside France :-)

omichon
07-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes, obviously this issue is fading out since younger generations are dealing with English more and more in their everyday life, so it won't be a problem anymore sooner or later. But a lot of people of our generation (I guess we belong to the same, almost, since I also started more than 2 decades ago) are still facing this issue (with no plan to move outside France because of family constraints).

papou
07-21-2014, 11:30 AM
... There could always be someone who go there and mess up the list completely..

Hmm, I suggest we let it like that for now and see what happen and perhaps later move it to some webpage with a way for peoples to fill a form (and perhaps having an account so they could modify their entry later on).

What do you think ?.

Yes, it's a bit unstable. We must copy this contents sometimes to secure the lost ... Feel free to propose another way to share contacts

brownie
07-22-2014, 01:28 AM
I have filled in the doc. I agree to say it's quite unsafe. We should also split columns for contact/Website/Socialnetwork and for main/secondary activity.

About the documentation in French, I don't want to read "face" translated by "visage" anymore. So...

omichon
07-22-2014, 02:53 AM
About the documentation in French, I don't want to read "face" translated by "visage" anymore. So...

indeed.

BeeVee
07-22-2014, 05:59 AM
One of my previous students explained to me that he didn't see the point of learning English. He was happy being at La Teste and he wasn't going to move. I explained to him that if he were to meet Svetlana Chmakova (one of his favourite comic book artists) at Angoulême he'd have a problem with her not speaking French and him not speaking Russian. The only way they could communicate would be in his rubbish English and hers (as it turns out she speaks very good English :D). At this point, he agreed and was a bit more committed to understanding English.

As for how many we output a year, it's usually in low numbers because our school doesn't go for the "pack them in and charge them loads" idea that most educational establishments seem to go for here (and without doubt lots of other places, but I don't have experience of them). We actually graduated no infographistes this year at all, because they weren't good enough. We did have five architectes d'interieure that passed their diploma and they all use LightWave for the 3D elements of their work.

As an aside, when we were younger - before the interweb, there was a saying in English that worked well: "If at first you don't succeed try, try and try again" and that was how we learned to do stuff. My teacher colleagues and I have found that the 21c translation of that seems to be "If at first you don't succeed, and the answer's not on the front page of Google, and you can't copy from Wikipedia; give up" applies more to the majority of students - a great shame.

B

grabiller
07-22-2014, 06:55 AM
../.. As an aside, when we were younger - before the interweb, there was a saying in English that worked well: "If at first you don't succeed try, try and try again" and that was how we learned to do stuff. My teacher colleagues and I have found that the 21c translation of that seems to be "If at first you don't succeed, and the answer's not on the front page of Google, and you can't copy from Wikipedia; give up" applies more to the majority of students - a great shame.
B

So true..

Btw, @omichon, @BeeVee, I've added a "School/Education" section to the Google document, do you mind adding respectively your school (BeeVee) and your education site/content (omichon) ?

I know it won't make much difference - yet who knows - but at least for the sake of being exhaustive, that would be nice.

BeeVee
07-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Je l'ai fait, mais je pense que vous devez mettre le liens dans votre sig pour qu'on peut facilement le trouver... ;)

I did it, but I think you should put the link in your sig so it can be easily found... ;)

B

grabiller
07-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Indeed! Done.

Actually I invite you all to add the list url to your own signatures.

omichon
07-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Btw, @omichon, @BeeVee, I've added a "School/Education" section to the Google document, do you mind adding respectively your school (BeeVee) and your education site/content (omichon) ?

Done, but the training is clearly outdated.

dickbill
07-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi grabiller,
I am a French free lancer, although based in the US, in Texas. I 'do business as', that is under the name of a company name. For a while, I did some still architecture visualization for my wife who is an architect, her project never concretized anyways and I kind of cooled down regarding architecture work.
Not all is about architecture though, some of the pictures attached shows a chick embryonic kidney.
regards.

shrox
07-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Just to be clear I very much like France and would like to do more work there. I specialize in space and sci-fi, and am willing to travel as well.

https://vimeo.com/101423878

I do have some physical limitations, but they can be worked around.

dickbill
07-22-2014, 12:20 PM
hehe you're really a Mars fan. Nice video.

Marander
07-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Wow motorbikes on Mars... I love the truck, very nice animation Shrox, I admire your work!

jeric_synergy
07-22-2014, 04:38 PM
If I actually had any chops I'd be trying for gigs in France, Germany, and the UK. Heck, the Netherlands too.

Que lastima.

shrox
07-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I should have gone to France from the UK rather than returning to the USA, I could have driven there even.

dickbill
07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
What makes you think that, there are better opportunities as freelancer in France?. Given the bureaucracy and the heaviness of everything, I doubt it.
The French economy stagnates, and yes it is in great part because of the Euro.
But people get used to that stagnation too. It will take an electrochoc to restart the engine.

shrox
07-22-2014, 06:56 PM
What makes you think that, there are better opportunities as freelancer in France?. Given the bureaucracy and the heaviness of everything, I doubt it.
The French economy stagnates, and yes it is in great part because of the Euro.
But people get used to that stagnation too. It will take an electrochoc to restart the engine.

I mean visiting the country of France. I intended to, but when the job I was in Cornwall for fell apart, I tucked my tail and ran home rather than take the opportunity to see and know new things, like France.

dickbill
07-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Ah visiting, I see.
I can't even do that now. Too expensive. 1 Euros= 1.5 Dollars. Insane. Everything 10X the price of what it's worth.
There is no need to 'visit' France now, as it is not France, for pretty much the same reasons that your job fell apart in Cornwall.

grabiller
07-23-2014, 01:21 AM
Done, but the training is clearly outdated.
Well, time to create a new one ;-)

@dickbill
Cool, noted.

omichon
07-23-2014, 02:22 AM
Well, time to create a new one ;-)

Well, since you almost convinced me that a professional has to understand English, I don't see the need anymore ;)

grabiller
07-23-2014, 02:29 AM
Make it bilingual! :-)

BeeVee
07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
It was me that did the translation and I would be happy to do it again. A lot easier than my subsequent translations for Max or Photography where I didn't know as much about the subject... :D

B

Tartiflette
07-24-2014, 04:37 AM
Hello Guy.

I added my contact information as well, can't hurt to be on the list anyway. ;)
I mostly do... everything ! :D
That must be the case of about any "old" LightWave user, when the word "generalist" really meant you had to know a bit of every aspect of 3D, LightWave being a great tool for a "one man band".

Have worked on quite a lot of projects with Olivier, be it @Big Nose or @View. (do they still use LightWave by the way ?)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

omichon
07-24-2014, 05:46 AM
Hey Laurent !
I was near to send you a private message to inform you about this thread just in case you wanted to be in this inventory.

Have worked on quite a lot of projects with Olivier, be it @Big Nose or @View. (do they still use LightWave by the way ?)

Yep, we worked on some cool stuff at that time :)
Can't tell you for BigNose since the last time they contacted me, years ago, they thought I was on Maya (and not LightWhat?®).
Unfortunately, View has vanished a couple of years ago, but at the end I was (almost) the last one to work on LightWave.

Hope all is fine for you in the south ;)

Edit : As a side note, I sent an invitation to join this thread to some other French LightWavers.

grabiller
07-24-2014, 06:31 AM
@Tartiflette
Hello Laurent, thanks, welcome to the list :-)

BeeVee
07-24-2014, 07:45 AM
And don't forget the artist interviewed in the LightWave newsletter: https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/artist-spotlight-salif-ndiaye/

B

omichon
07-24-2014, 08:03 AM
And don't forget the artist interviewed in the LightWave newsletter: https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/artist-spotlight-salif-ndiaye/

B

Yes, really nice work ! Reminds me an older interview for Newtek-Europe.
BTW, they are still available here (http://www.3dstorm.com/archives/stories/fr/community/lightwave/). Maybe some other people to add from there.

dickbill
07-24-2014, 09:13 AM
How are the opportunities for freelancers in France?
What pays there? arch-vis, marketing & publicity?

omichon
07-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Can't tell you for sure. Maybe it could be the next step of this project, trying to identify what is the market in France for a LW freelancer ?
I bet it is a mixture of all that, arch-vis marketing & ads, and some other niches ?

Tartiflette
07-25-2014, 06:00 AM
Hey Laurent !
I was near to send you a private message to inform you about this thread just in case you wanted to be in this inventory.
He he, i was back from a week trip to Paris when i ended up on this thread, i guess you weren't fast enough ! ;)

Yep, we worked on some cool stuff at that time :)
Can't tell you for BigNose since the last time they contacted me, years ago, they thought I was on Maya (and not LightWhat?®).
Unfortunately, View has vanished a couple of years ago, but at the end I was (almost) the last one to work on LightWave.
As for BigNose, i still have some news of them and Xavier from time to time so i know they're doing well. (but they never really were a 3D house anyway, just some use from time to time, i know that for being at the start of this adventure ! ;) )
As for View, i didn't know they were out of business now, that's quite a shock as it was quite a big house in Paris last time i went here ! So knowing they aren't here anymore, even if it never really "clicked" between Christophe and me, is a sad news. :(

Hope all is fine for you in the south ;)
Everything is fine here, except i have to move a bit more as the workload has been a bit erratic lately, but at least we have good weather for us ! :D

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

khan973
07-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Here I am , Amognst the last french Lightwavers alive :)
I added Salif on the list, great artist and cool guy too.

Thanks Guy for your initiative, 2 years ago I started to do a lot of things to promote LightWave too but lost a bit of faith. I guess I'll get it back whenever LW 12 come out.

I'm still doing my things with LightWave though. I'm just "jealous" or pissed of when I see people starting 3D and being able to do things with C4D I can't even do even with my 16 years of using LW.
There is a lot to do on their side like great presets, tutorials that are not just technical, and unified app (yes, brought that again).
When you do an entire project, people don't care what you use so as long as it works I'll keep it.
I'll just add some other tools that allow more possibilities for object transformation or creation. Nothing crazy, just font animation, bend objects, animated booleans, basic stuff that are still not integrated.
I try to be positive about it but I am not always when people I work with ask me to model from camera vue or other stuff that shouldn't be problems in a 3D software.

slv
07-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi all,
i am french Architect , i founded a specialized compagny in architectural visualisation ( name 5500k ) since 2009.
I used lightwave since 2000
here a link
http://5500k.fr/
i used lightwave for my work ( rendering , architectural development and support architectural, competition for another architect colleague ).
i remain at your disposal for more information
Sylvain

philippe
08-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Hiya to all !!
I am a french mercenary and a lightwavers since V4 !
I'm using less and less Lightwave (I do mostly compositing on Nuke nowadays) but I added my name on the list anyway :)
Thanks Guy for your initiative and best of luck.

Phil