PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave slow in Windows 8?

ruud
07-18-2014, 05:13 AM
Hi.

I've bought a new computer, Nvidia Geforce 770, 3.6 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram etc.
And Windows 8.

Windows 8 is a hell to work with, first of all there are all those controls set to be used by a tablet, useless and irritating on a desktop...

Now, running Lightwave 11 it does some pretty weird things, it hangs before a render is made, even blank scenes take up to 20 seconds to render. When I'm in Modeler and I want to add points to a curve it places the points at another point on the line, or it just doesn't place anything. In Windows 7 I never had these problems, do any of you experience this with Windows8? What could be a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Ruud

BeeVee
07-18-2014, 06:34 AM
If your laptop runs the Optimus system it uses an Intel chipset for graphics, and switches to the NVidia card when you say it should. Make sure you are enabling LightWave and Modeler from inside the Optimus options. It's best to also activate the taskbar icon that visually shows when you are using Intel gfx (the icon is grey) or NVidia (the icon is more colourful, tending to green).

HTH

B

DonJMyers
07-18-2014, 05:34 PM
If I were you I would download a set of utilities called "advanced system care". One of them is an good replacement for the AWFUL start menu in windows 8. It also lets you minimize the "metro" interface elements.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?tag=main;pop

ruud
07-19-2014, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the tips, I found the perfect solution though, I kicked Windows 8 off the system, this wasn't too easy! Now with Windows 7 it runs like a charm :-)
Do any of you find working with 8 a positive change?

djwaterman
07-19-2014, 06:34 AM
I've had no problems with windows 8, all my problems stemmed from the AMD graphic card when I was using the laptop. Now that I have a PC with Nvidia it's all good. I can't believe the problem would be Windows 8 specifically though. I like 8 because it's boots fast and is very secure with the inbuilt security. of course I hated the Metro tablet interface but I used the classic shell download to bring back the start button and Windows 8.1 brought it back anyway. Mostly a positive experience but with some annoyance along the way.

Sanchon
07-19-2014, 07:20 AM
In my experience LightWave works much better on Windows 8 but you need reconfigure some settings and you must be sure that all of the hardware components have dedicated win8 drivers. I had some issues with Win7 that were gone when I went to Win8. There was problem with Wacom pen tablets and some mouses in Win8 but this was resolved months ago.

spherical
07-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Do any of you find working with 8 a positive change?

No issues here on 3 workstations; one x86 on 8, one x86 on 8.1 and one x64 on 8.1. Prior to these, we were on 32-bit XP on older dual Athlon CPU hardware, so everything is quite normally faster using 64-bit multi-core processors.

Windows 8+ have more locked down permissions, so where and how you install applications makes a big difference. I have a few links to threads here on install procedures but here's one to get you started. Of course, you've nuked 8 now, so this is a bit moot:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140807-Since-LW-11-5-x-it-crashes-and-freezes-whenever-it-can&p=1374569&viewfull=1#post1374569

ruud
07-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Thanks, good to hear you guys do work nice with Windows 8, and I must say that it was very impressive at first. But I was also too positive about going back to Windows 7, the hanging of Lightwave during a frame render is back, so it wasn't the fault of Win8.

Now I do reallize that this hanging is being caused by NVIDIA, do any of you know the settings for that? (VSync is allready off)

Lightwave hangs when pushing F9, but when I switch to another program it suddenly starts rendering, when switching back to Layout it hangs again, over and over.

Besides that I'm as happy as a little boy with Windows 7 ;-))

Gr,
Ruud

spherical
07-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Never heard of that one and I can't think right off of any particular setting in the driver that would cause it. That said, VSync is off where? At the driver level or in LW?

ruud
07-21-2014, 03:56 AM
in both the NVIDIA driver and Layout... It couldn't be NVIDIA also, because I just uninstalled the Drivers from NVIDIA.
The rendering process is strange, When pushing F9 it halts, but when you swap to another program it suddenly starts running... I've already waited 10 minutes on an empty scene to be rendered, didn't do anything until I swapped..

It's strange that this didn't occur when I had the system up and running for the first time, and I'm already struggeling with this for 3 full days now, can get pretty irritating

ruud
07-21-2014, 06:01 AM
Haha! I got it :)

It was teamviewer that blocked everything, in the new version of teamviewer you have the ability to share programs or maps with another computer, while pushing F9 for a render it immidiately started searching for a partner to share with. But there obviously wasn't anyone :) so it hanged.
Lightwave was the only one that had problems with this feature, other programs didn't.
Just wanted to share this in case someone had the same problem!

Greetz, and thanks for all the help!