PDA

View Full Version : modeling question

J|L
07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Hi there
maby someone has got tip how to make wall like this in quick way ?
cheers

Slartibartfast
07-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Like this? I made no gaps between the blocks but it's just as easy.
I did it this way: make 6-sided disc, extruded a bit. Select the two 6-sided polygons and bevel in then hit bridge. Use one of the mutliply tools, like clone array or similar to make a big area of the hexagons. Then roll it up with bend. You'll need to go beyond 360 degrees to wrap it around completely.

Wish you luck

meshpig
07-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Yeah but there's a spiral advancing the hexagons. In LWM that's kinda not possible to deploy but I date say you could patch one together as a polychain and use LWCAD's Profiler to extrude it.

JoePoe
07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Hmm, isn't it a natural byproduct (is that the right word? ;D) of a sheet of hexagons to have spiral advancement? 123081

I'm more intrigued with the distortion of the hex pattern. I guess one could do a number on the flattened array with magnet, jitter, whatever before rolling it up.
But then the two ends need to remain unaffected in order to match up which would make for a kinda odd regularity (if it's seen) in the middle of ordered chaos.
I guess the seam area can be manipulated after the join up.

....and the distorted geometry appears to become regular (or vice versa) after the taper into the smaller central tube. Just gotta be careful with the distortion influence.
Looks like a fun project. :)

Slartibartfast
07-17-2014, 03:19 PM
I tried voronoi fracture by making a hex grid, collapse polys and jitter the remaining points. Use these points as backgrund while fracturing a flat box. Finally stretch the whole thing and bend it to a tube. It came out quite close to the reference picture. But the fracture tool creates a real mess with triangulated polys. So it would be hard to bevel out the holes...

JoePoe
07-17-2014, 05:38 PM
I took a quick stab at it. Magnet only. 123089
... and I forgot to mess with the seam area :foreheads

meshpig
07-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Hmm, isn't it a natural byproduct (is that the right word? ;D) of a sheet of hexagons to have spiral advancement? 123081

Looks like a fun project. :)

Yes but notice how the spiral you end up with is just that. In the original image each hex is slightly ahead of the next as in the curve they are following isn't expressed in the geometry :)

jeric_synergy
07-17-2014, 10:10 PM
In the RW picture there seems to be a messy seam area, but it's in the transition to vertical.

Maybe this is an item that could be approached thru Bones/Save Xformed. Although JoePoe's looked pretty damn good to me.

JoePoe
07-17-2014, 11:03 PM
I think that effect has a lot to do with needing more stretching of the pattern along the length (height actually) combined with viewing angle.
The pattern is a basic hex grid at the top but stretches considerably as it travels down. Another quick one...123092

The bottom is...., well, it is what it is!..... Awesome! 123094
That original pic does look a little.... odd at the transition, now that I see the actual shape.

.... thanks Jeric :)

meshpig
07-18-2014, 02:17 AM
Yes you're right. I immediately thought of ... LWCAD 5 and nurds objects which will liven up the curves in LW.