PDA

View Full Version : LW-hub and 9gigs worth of temp files

Wade
11-24-2003, 01:15 PM
While doing a little hard drive cleaning 9 plus gigs of files were found in my LWHUB folder! Any thoughts on why this may be the case? Anyone?

My guess is that when I have crashed Lightwave that the .LWO and .LWS files get stuck there or copies of them anyway. They open up and look just like the normal LWO files yet have added information to the name like 2034Tree.lwo instead of Tree.lwo.

Seems I now have a backup copy of all my work in one place.

Wade

C:\Documents and Settings\wade\Local Settings\Temp\lwhub:confused:

WizCraker
11-24-2003, 02:13 PM
If you have auto save on in in the LWHUB options then that could be it. I think you can set it to every 1 min, 5 min, 15 min. That could be what you see.

Wade
11-24-2003, 02:36 PM
The files date back 8 1 2001 thru today. Not sure if there is a copy of everything I have worked on but it must be close. Will have to burn a pair of DVDs and free up some hard drive space. Kind of nice having all those files in one place usually everything gets moved off to a CD by the project once done.

Anyone else have this carbon copy of your work stacking up in the lwhub folder?

No complaint I just do not understand the why.

Wade
11-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Never have messed with auto save.:)

Jockomo
11-24-2003, 08:20 PM
The autosave is a great feature. If a file gets corrupted you can often go digging through there and find an older uncorrupted version. If lightwave crashes and you haven't saved you might look in there as well.

It saves to there rather than the regular file path so that it doesn't overwrite your regular file unless you save it yourself.
I think it adds the numeric extension because it will often save various versions of the same object,so it needs a unique filename.

It would be nice if you could set the hub to delete the files after a certian amount of time has passed, or a certian amount of disc space is used. As it stands you have to go in there and clean it yourself or you get the problem you ran into.

Wade
11-24-2003, 11:42 PM
I learn something every day. :)

Phil
11-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Hopefully 8.0 or a maintenance release for 7.5 will add the option to purge the hub folder on shutdown. Since the hub remains running even after modeler or layout crash, this wouldn't prevent you rolling back the objects/scenes in there.

What is mildly annoying is that Layout and Modeler don't really know that they have crashed - it would be useful to have a little window come up with a list of objects in the hub folder to make recovery that much easier. Not everyone is aware that they might have a recovery route via the hub.....as your original post highlights. It might be worth a request to the [email protected] address since they are still busy code hacking AFAIK.