PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX Please Stay Still!!!

derker
07-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Does anyone know how to keep FiberFX from swaying around like subterranean weed. I'm using it on a cloak, the fiber is quite short but still insists on moving about. JEEEEs I will NEVER EVER use this again in my projects, but I have to finish this project so no choice. I've tried most everything. It does seem to behave better with guides but I cant use guides on this it gets way too complicated. Any Tips would be appreciated. Thanks

stephefrank
07-14-2014, 03:42 PM
FiberFX is NOT for serious work, its no way near any professional hair/fur solution in the market. I dont know why they put half baked tools in Lightwave just for the sake of completing the list of tools to match professional applications like Maya or Houdini.. in this case FiberFX is not even half baked.. anyways I hope lightwave developers take some serious some steps to tackle these issues!

prometheus
07-14-2014, 04:55 PM
did you turn off dynamic gravity?

erikals
07-14-2014, 09:29 PM
derker, try to keep it to one thread, makes things easier...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142563-FiberFX-Please-Stay-STILL!!!

derker
07-15-2014, 05:28 AM
derker, try to keep it to one thread, makes things easier...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?142563-FiberFX-Please-Stay-STILL!!!

Thank you all for your replies. I have turned off dynamic gravity but still no good. I'm afraid I have to agree that FiberFX should not be used on serious projects,
after using it in this project it has cost me many months of time wasted fixing crashes because of it's instability. Never mind I will carry on and find a way round this.

prometheus
07-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I have turned off dynamic gravity but still no good. I'm afraid I have to agree that FiberFX should not be used on serious projects,
after using it in this project it has cost me many months of time wasted fixing crashes because of it's instability. Never mind I will carry on and find a way round this.

Yes..unfortunatly,fiberfx crashes often, and even freezes the system at times if you try larger land areas..which it isnīt build for it seems, I realy wish sasquatch could come back fresh and updated, if so only for grass stuff, renders much faster too.
instances is nice for grass too of course, but it poses dificulties to style and make areas react to wind..in such nice way you could do with the wind locator.

Fiberfx styling and editing of hair guides..is horrible I think.

jwiede
07-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Fiberfx styling and editing of hair guides..is horrible I think.

That's the cherry on top: If FFX had great UX and convenient workflows, efficient and intuitive, then it might be worth the beating until bloody that occurs with using it. Unfortunately, IMO, its workflows suffer from inconsistencies, nonintuitive expectations, and poor UX.

I guess what I'm saying is that fixing FFXs stability issues isn't enough by itself -- if LW3DG really intends to continue promoting FFX, something has to be done about the UX/workflow issues as well. Aside from minor tweaks here and there, the UX/workflow aspect of FFX hasn't seem much improvement. It's difficult to tell whether LW3DG thinks the UX/workflow of FFX is fine as-is, or is just holding off on addressing those issues until stability is much improved. If the former, it isn't for lack of users complaining.

sampei
07-15-2014, 01:31 PM
FiberFX is NOT for serious work, its no way near any professional hair/fur solution in the market. I dont know why they put half baked tools in Lightwave just for the sake of completing the list of tools to match professional applications like Maya or Houdini.. in this case FiberFX is not even half baked.. anyways I hope lightwave developers take some serious some steps to tackle these issues!
agreed. They had seven years and it still can't match sasquatch, it's time to start looking for someone like Joe Alter or Cem Yuksel who know what they're doing..but to be frank my hopes of this occurring are below zero.

derker
07-17-2014, 12:10 PM
That's the cherry on top: If FFX had great UX and convenient workflows, efficient and intuitive, then it might be worth the beating until bloody that occurs with using it. Unfortunately, IMO, its workflows suffer from inconsistencies, nonintuitive expectations, and poor UX.

I guess what I'm saying is that fixing FFXs stability issues isn't enough by itself -- if LW3DG really intends to continue promoting FFX, something has to be done about the UX/workflow issues as well. Aside from minor tweaks here and there, the UX/workflow aspect of FFX hasn't seem much improvement. It's difficult to tell whether LW3DG thinks the UX/workflow of FFX is fine as-is, or is just holding off on addressing those issues until stability is much improved. If the former, it isn't for lack of users complaining.

FiberFX Oh what it has cost me in time!!! I think that Newtek are sweeping it constantly under the carpet, and it is upon their head to address this issue that will not go away, FIX IT!!

derker
07-20-2014, 03:27 PM
FiberFX Oh what it has cost me in time!!! I think that Newtek are sweeping it constantly under the carpet, and it is upon their head to address this issue that will not go away, FIX IT!!

OK I think I may have a work around for this (again) I have made guides for the cloak and am using these to put the fiber onto, BUT have to leave
the Gravity at '0' otherwise the fiber moves when animated. So far with the gravity at '0' there is no unwanted movement. I added gravity to the guides when they were made with fiberfx in modeler. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Dodgy
07-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Deleted