PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX Please Stay STILL!!!

derker
07-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know how to keep FiberFX from swaying around like subterranean weed. I'm using it on a cloak, the fiber is quite short but still insists on moving about. JEEEEs I will NEVER EVER use this again in my projects, but I have to finish this project so no choice. I've tried most everything. It does seem to behave better with guides but I cant use guides on this it gets way too complicated. Any Tips would be appreciated. Thanks

erikals
07-14-2014, 01:22 PM
had some problems using an area light, try not to use area lights...

Greenlaw
07-14-2014, 01:54 PM
I did this test a while back...it's kinda cloak-like. I used the FiberFX layout guides for it with Bullet Dynamics for the motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkuyIYHXuA

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'swaying'. FiberFX doesn't actually animate itself, so the unwanted motion in your cloak is probably coming from whatever is displacing/defoming it. Could it be a Bullet setting? You might need to increase Shape Rentention and Damping.

If the unwanted motion appears only after network rendering (i.e., the motion isn't present in the original scene,) you probably need to bake the sim to MDD before rendering. Baking is especially important when you're rendering on a farm. If I remember correctly, the above bullet test animation was baked for render--without baking, I think it chattered, which is what I would expect anyway.

G.

derker
07-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Thank You all for your tips. I will try these. It does seem to be animated itself, I did use a morph at some point which I will look at. The fiber itself looks really good so its frustrating when it doesnt stay still. Thanks

Greenlaw
07-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Regarding lighting issues, FiberFX can have noise or flicker problems with any multisample lights, like Dome, DP Infinite, or Area. The problem is that there is a threshold where FiberFX simply stops improving the shadow quality for multisample lights no matter how high you turn up the quality settings. I reported this as a bug but I don't think it's been fixed yet.

I use one of two different workarounds in this situation:

1. Use a regular ray trace light, like Distance, for your FiberFX shadows, and let FiberFX handle softening it. This should work in many situations except when the character's body needs to case a soft shadow on a very close object. (We ran into this problem with furry animal characters holding musical instruments.)

2. If you absolutely need or just want to use a multisample light, you can set the quality up to the threhold limit mentioned above, and then use a post noise removal plug-in to clean it up. I routinely use Re:VisionFX DeNoise plug-in in composting to clean up this and radiosity noise, and it can work wonders. (This method solved the 'shadow on instruments' for us.)

Neat Video is another noise removal plug-ins that works well but not as nicely as DeNoise, which has the benefit of optical flow tech. Neat Video is much faster though, so it's good if you also have a ton of live action footage to clean up.

G.

erikals
07-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Neat Video is another noise removal plug-ins that works well but not as nicely as DeNoise, which has the benefit of optical flow tech...

so DeNoise optical flow removes the "ghosting" effect that can be seen in Neat Video.. ?

Greenlaw
07-14-2014, 06:11 PM
I think it's the parameter called Spatial Threshold that does that--it seems to control how well the tool can preserve distinct shapes in the image. Try to set it as low as you can while still affecting the noise. You can also adjust a parameter called Temporal Threshold, though I think that affects the general noise across time. Depending on the nature of the animation you're trying to fix, it's probably a balance between the two.

BTW, I've only used the OFX version, which works in Fusion, Vegas and other OFX compatible programs. Lately I've been doing more work in AfterFX but unfortunately AE doesn't do OFX. I imagine the AE version works the same way though. I'll probaby have to buy this plug-in again just for AE but for now, it's no big deal for me to pre-process the elements in Fusion and then bring them into AE.

Anyway, if you go the OFX/non-AE route, be sure to have the software locked to an ethernet dongle for mobility.

G.

erikals
07-14-2014, 09:26 PM
hmm, guess i gotta test out that demo :]

interesting, cause in fast motion Neat Video can be quite "ghosty"
an alternative could be to use LW masks to only reduce noise on the right area / right object, but i'd rather not

thank you for info, didn't know \ :]

Greenlaw
07-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Yeah, the 'ghosty'ness you've seen is probably because these plug-ins attempt to sample noise data across time and average it. With ideal settings, it should only affect the isolated noise pattern but the 'shape blending' artifact can happen when the motion is too fast or changes drastically from frame to frame.

DeNoise may show a similar artifact in these situations but it does a much better job minimizing the problem. It works most of the time for me but sometimes I need to settle for a lower spatial threshold setting and just accept a little noise in the render. If I'm lucky, a post motion blur process on top of this usually takes care of the rest--in Fusion I use Vector Motion Blur with motion vectors embedded in my exr frames, or RSMB (also from ReVision FX) if I don't have vector data available, and in AE I like to use RSMB with or without motion vector data.

The 'drawback' with DeNoise is that it can be slow to process. To speed things up, I usually run DeNoise in its own 'precmp' scene so I don't need to process the frames in my actual compositing scene.

G.