PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with IKBoost AutoBbind in walk cycle

cyborg_ty
07-13-2014, 08:46 PM
I was playing with the AutoBind function of IKBoost to control moving the character forward without slip or sliding while walking. The character moves forward as expected, but it also moves down on the Y axis with every step. Any ideas on what I may have done to cause this or how to fix this (I'm relatively new to Lightwave; using 11.62)? :help:

Dodgy
07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
You'll need to ensure the start and end positions of the toe will be the same height.

Ryan Roye
07-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Remember that the Bind function works with motion modifiers. So, you could actually use a set of nulls to drive the motions of your character and be able to steer them around interactively. A benefit of doing it this way is that editing your character's posing won't mess with the character's position, and you can repurpose the animation and apply it to other rigged characters with similar setups.

Binding on bones is still useful though for animations where the character typically has their foot planted on the ground surface (IE: a ladder rung, climbing, stair-stepping, etc).

cyborg_ty
07-23-2014, 03:45 PM
I found the comments to be very helpful. Thanks for your time and consideration!