PDA

View Full Version : "Connect: Single Edge: Repeat" ??

jeric_synergy
07-10-2014, 08:08 PM
If you select ONE edge (more complicated, TL) and hit CONNECT, a point will be generated at the Edge's midpoint. The Edge becomes unselected

Is there a function that will essentially allow you to repeatedly hit CONNECT, subdividing the original Edge each time?

JoePoe
07-10-2014, 09:05 PM
It's not exactly what you describe, But you can use native CUT (Shift U).
It's like Bandsaw Pro but you can use it on single edges...... So you can put in all your cuts at once.

For even divisions only there is also divide-edge (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/divide-edge/).

Edit: to maka a color change. I guess it didn't stand out enough :D.

prometheus
07-10-2014, 09:10 PM
no..donīt think so really, you could use cut, and use the add mode in that tool settings, then click uniform to get even divisions, and then just hit ok.
you could use the slice tool also,but I donīt think you can snap it evenly when slicing the edge.

I fell a sleep while testing and writing so joe poe beat me to it.

what you also can do ...you can go to edit modeler tools, and predifine the cut or divide tools to have any division you want, so once again running that tool will cut or divide the edge with that predefined amount of divisions without you having to set it up
first.

erikals
07-10-2014, 09:51 PM
It's not exactly what you describe, But you can use native CUT (Shift U).
It's like Bandsaw Pro but you can use it on single edges...... So you can put in all your cuts at once.

ah, excellent, didn't know this, thank you, nice trick... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

p.s. for even divisions when using Cut, use uniform...

jeric_synergy
07-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I want something dumber than that: Select an Edge, click click click without moving the mouse, 8 equal cuts.

More cutting, less thinking.

Thanks guys.

JoePoe
07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
I want something dumber than that: Select an Edge, click click click without moving the mouse, 8 equal cuts.

More cutting, less thinking.

Thanks guys.

Well, then you really do want the Divide Edge plug.
Select edge, hit your hot key, type "8". (don't) Think about that! :)

erikals
07-10-2014, 10:35 PM
yep, a thing about using Cut is that it also "deletes" the last used Cut settings
ideally Cut should have had 10+ presets and be realtime...

p.s. i wrote a mail and asked for a fox for the Divide Edge plugin-crash... crossing fingers

jeric_synergy
07-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Well, then you really do want the Divide Edge plug.
Select edge, hit your hot key, type "8". (don't) Think about that! :)

Damn Artur writes some handy tools!!!! :bowdown:

Grabbed.

jeric_synergy
07-10-2014, 11:46 PM
ideally Cut should have had 10+ presets and be realtime...
Use QUICKCUT1/2/3 and you get 3 presets. :confused:

That whole Preset thing could be MUCH cleverer-- it's awkward. The configurer could be folded into CUT, where you can find it, and there could be a rolling list of cut presets. 1,2, and 3 could be moved around this list.

Also, I don't like that CUT and QUICKCUTn switches modes from Edge to Point when you apply it to an Edge. -WUWT??

--Fogbugged: "When you use CUT or QUICKCUT in Edge Mode, it leaves you in Point Mode.

This is unexpected and confusing for the user."

prometheus
07-10-2014, 11:52 PM
How about using the slice tool, and hold ctrl ..that will snap to center of an edge..regardless if you use it in edge mode or polymode, then move the mouse along the edge with ctrl still holding, this way you can get uniform cuts and with ease with mouse clicking.

Michael

jeric_synergy
07-11-2014, 12:01 AM
How about using the slice tool, and hold ctrl ..that will snap to center of an edge..regardless if you use it in edge mode or polymode, then move the mouse along the edge with ctrl still holding, this way you can get uniform cuts and with ease with mouse clicking.
Michael
Well, I wanted mathematically uniform divisions, which a repeating-Connect would do just by button clicking, versus mousing around in the UI*. However, this approach does have a lot to recommend it.

I did find that once I wanted to leave any one edge I had to do some awkward clicking so I wouldn't divide the polygon.

*so, caffeine has minimal effect.

spherical
07-11-2014, 12:43 AM
--Fogbugged: "When you use CUT or QUICKCUT in Edge Mode, it leaves you in Point Mode.

Not necessarily and, as such, not an absolute. I like it that way because I usually want to position the new point elsewhere. YMMV, different strokes, etc.

Danner
07-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Not necessarily and, as such, not an absolute. I like it that way because I usually want to position the new point elsewhere. YMMV, different strokes, etc.

+1

Oedo 808
07-11-2014, 06:42 AM

Unexpected? Are you sure you don't have Switch to Point Mode enabled?

For me the only bug is that QuickCut selects a mishmash of polygons or edges when used on a ring of edges.

Or am I misunderstanding :stumped:

jeric_synergy
07-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Unexpected? Are you sure you don't have Switch to Point Mode enabled?
....and there it issszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... :foreheads