PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Markers

BAH_Mike
07-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Is there a possibility to incorporate chapter markers during a live broadcast on a Tricaster 8000?

We currently do education and training using a Tricaster 855 and find it would be helpful to place a marker of some kind when the lesson changes from one topic to another and not stop and start recording. It would be easier in post to break up files for archive, organization, and distribution.

I brought this up with a representative at NAB this year and I believe he said something similar exists in 3Play so I wonder how possible it would be to incorporate in non 3Play models.

kanep
07-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Maybe not as your thinking, but here is something similar.

You can use the recording 'chop' feature to mark ins and outs for each segment, these will become separate clips.

If you have a Timewarp control surface you can do this with the In and Out buttons on its control surface. Otherwise, you will need to create macros in the macro editor for each function.

For 'In' use a macro shortcut command of "record_reset" (no quotes)
For 'Out' use a macro shortcut command of "record_chop"

Unless there is time between the segments, you might want to make a macro command of 'record_chop' then 'record_reset' in one macro. That will stop the current recording and start a new one. Note that this feature only effects the primary record channel. If you are ISOcording the secondary channel will perform a full record but not be affected by the clip chopping.

ttromp
07-22-2014, 09:43 PM
If you do this, can you reassemble the clips in a sequence without any missing frames?

kanep
07-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Depends on the software revison you are running.

TriCasters running software previous to rev 2-3 will probably miss a frame or two between the chop and the start of recording even if you perform these two commands as fast as possible. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm guessing that this would probably be the case, because on these systems you are physically close one video clip and start recording a new one.

With TriCaster running rev 2-3 software (current TC410, 460, 860, 8000) the new ISOcorder doesn't physically break clips into multiple files anymore. Now when you mark clips, it just create pointers to the Quicktime file that it is recording.