PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing & Lightwave- What is your TOOL WISH LIST?

robertoortiz
07-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Hi guys,
I have been having a blast doing 3d printing modeling with LW.
But of course there are a ton of areas that LW can improve to make 3d printing more easy.

Tell us what tools you feel lightwave should have to make 3d Printing more seamless.

I am looking forward to your comments.

-R

ernpchan
07-08-2014, 12:42 PM
But of course there are a ton of areas that LW can improve to make 3d printing more easy.

What's your list?

robertoortiz
07-08-2014, 12:59 PM
What's your list?

Real world measuring tools would be helpful,
Better model baking options
Also tools to better allow hollowing out stl files.

probiner
07-08-2014, 01:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFTyTV3wwsE&list=UU0OsvzcGE6iqSP8lW3-M9Dg

lightscape
07-09-2014, 09:09 PM
lw2shapeways ready to print button similar to lw2sketchfab button.
Hurry before other 3d software copies this feature. Its already working in another industry standard app.

spherical
07-10-2014, 05:08 AM
Real world measuring tools would be helpful,

Can someone explain to me why the Measure tool doesn't measure in Real World? Yeah, I get the "internal units are different" thing, but when I model a part that is 4" high and convert to STL, either by the native export, or most usually in Deep Exploration, the part comes out 4" high. What am I missing?

Also tools to better allow hollowing out stl files.

As mentioned in another thread, you don't have to "hollow out" an STL to make a hollow part. A capable slicer will do this from a solid model, and you can specify different wall thicknesses for the top/bottom and sides if you want. The only time I fully model wall thickness is when a part isn't closed, as in a dome. Otherwise, it's a solid, closed volume.