PDA

View Full Version : screamernet problem

anieves
11-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Hi guys
I finished setting up the screamernet network at the office, since I have little experience with SN I followed Matt's awesome tutorial. Everything is working properly, the nodes work, the renders are saved etc... then I hit a slight problem but an annoying one. When I select Network render SN keeps defaulting the command folder to the local drive and not to the shared network folder; so every time we run it we have to manually select the shared command folder in order for the nodes to see it.

so it shows like this:

E:\screamernet(shared)\screamer_command

when it should be:

\\computername\screamernet(shared)\screamer_comman d

it's like LW is not writting the pref file correctly but if I open it in Notepad it shows the way it is supposed to be... WTH?!

Any suggestions?

Matt
11-25-2003, 03:40 AM
Glad you liked the tutorial! Hey it works!!! :)

The only thing I can think of (because it happened to me) is to do with the how you choose the path.

When you're browsing the network for your shared folder are you finding it through a shortcut in your network places?

I chose a path this way for the 'Save RGB' folder and no frames (except the host machine) were saved.

Turns out that if you chose a path via a network shortcut that points to the machine you're browsing from, it resolves to the local path.

The way to avoid that is to make sure you browse 'top down'. That is 'My Network Places'->'Entire Network'->'Your Workgroup'->'Your computer'->'Your shared folder'.

Rather than 'My Network Places'->'Shortcut to my shared folder'

Hopefully that's it! If not let us know!

Cheers
Matt

anieves
11-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Hey Matt!
awesome tutorial!

It's very strange, I've been going the long way since I read your tut, no shortcuts. Every other path is set to the shared path and it is saved but the command path keeps reverting... I'll keep messing with it and see if I can figure it out.

Matt
11-25-2003, 07:22 AM
well, I just gleaned info' from other tutorials and re-packaged it with diagrams etc.

hmmmm, odd one that, double check that the shortcuts you're using are pointing to the right configs.

t_man13
04-07-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm having the EXACT same problem. If you guys figure this one out, please let me know.

t_man13
04-09-2004, 08:58 AM
OK. Here's what's really happening:

The target that my shortcut for the ScreamNet version of Layout points to is:

C:\LightWave\programs\lightwav.exe -c\\Slnt02\TechData\Artwork\network_rendering\sn_co nfig

So it's using my local installation of Layout, but I want it to use the config files that are in that specified network location.

So here's the funny thing. I open my lw3.cfg file that's located here:

\\Slnt02\TechData\Artwork\network_rendering\sn_con fig

and change the content directory to

\\Slnt02\TechData\Artwork\network_rendering\

and then close it. Then I click on the shortcut for the ScreamerNet version of Layout, and press "o." Without fail, the content directory is shown as

C:\LightWave

So I go back to the lw3.cfg file, and (pay attention, here's the funny part), the content directory is ALSO showing as

C:\LightWave

For some reason, Layout is re-writing my lw3.cfg to look for the content directory back on my hard drive, and not on the network like I told it to.

What gives?

gjjackson
04-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Make sure the Hub isn't rewriting the config files.

t_man13
04-09-2004, 09:11 AM
How do I do that?

digimassa
04-09-2004, 10:10 AM
:cool: disable hub

t_man13
04-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Newbie Question:

How do I disable the HUB?

t_man13
04-09-2004, 07:34 PM
OK, I've got the problem fixed, but I don't know exactly what it was in the first place. Here's what I ended up doing.

Uninstalled Lightwave. Deleted ALL the Lightwave cfg's. Reinstalled Lightwave. Created two new desktop shortcuts for Layout. Copied the cfg files to two different locations: one local and one shared network. Pointed the two shortcuts to the different lw3.cfg files. For the ScreamerNet version, I added a -0 switch to disable the hub. Altered the copied cfg's to point the content directories where I wanted them: one for the local, and one for the shared network.

The interesting thing here, is that I had it set up exactly the same way before, and it just wasn't working. It was like the ScreamerNet version wasn't finding the shared network version on the lw3.cfg. Now, after an uninstall-reinstall, it magically works.

Gremlins.

Anyways, thanks Matt for your concise tutorial, and to gjjackson and digimassa for pointing me towards the hub. It all works now.

--sigh--

Finally

gjjackson
04-09-2004, 10:12 PM
First, I use SpiderX for network rendering. With that I set up all the config with the UNC name and also reloaded all plugins via the UNC name. When browsing the network for the plugin location be sure not to use the Network shortcut but the network itself. This cleans things up a bit.