PDA

View Full Version : How would you model this?

OlaHaldor
07-08-2014, 05:19 AM
I'm fairly OK with modeling things that are, basically, boxes. Like a house, a hangar, an airport with its different types of straight angles and all that. But I wanna explore doing other stuff, like vehicles of different types, such as airplanes, trains, boats, even cars.

I thought I could have a little project during the summer, and model a train. The model I've looked at is used on the local line here and in the end I'd like to texture it just like the real deal.
Being a complete rookie at modeling anything except buildings, I don't know where or how to begin. And I know a lot of you are capable of thinking way beyond my closed box.

The train is a Stadler Flirt (https://www.google.no/search?q=nsb+stadler+flirt&rlz=1C1GIWA_enNO587NO587&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UtO7U5HnJ4HpywOLj4GIDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1588&bih=861), in NSB livery.
I've downloaded a few PDFs (http://www.stadlerrail.com/en/references/norwegische-staatsbahnen-nsb-oslo/) with vector drawings for side, top and front view.

For what it's worth, I've got LWCAD.

Danner
07-08-2014, 06:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYu188xDGe4
A quick search revealed a series of 3 videos where Mariusz Stawski makes a car. I am not a big fan of his polygon by polygon construction method I rather start with a blob and modify it, But it will give you a sense of modeling basic shapes for subpatch and how to handle them.

This is his blog and he has a great looking train.
http://mstawski3d.blogspot.com.es

Every4thPixel
07-08-2014, 06:50 AM
That's how I build cars. Polygon by polygon. Sometimes I use splines but in a lot of case you'll be just as quick with the P by P method. Splines can be reused and that can be helpful at times. I don't think LWCad is that useful for modeling cars and trains etc.

MarcusM
07-08-2014, 07:11 AM
It's easy. From general to specific like my train :p

OlaHaldor
07-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys. I'll have to prepare myself to extend - adjust - extend - adjust then. :)

jeric_synergy
07-08-2014, 09:30 AM
It's easy. From general to specific like my train :p

LOL! That's a good one!

There's a widely available, older, MAYA book that covers creating a steam locomotive. -Really, it's down to just do every little bit. It ain't fast. But it's faster than making an actual train, and that got done. :hey:

++
Looked at the pdfs. Put the images in the background in Modeler, make a bounding box, and go to town.

Oooo, here's at least one actually useful tip: If you make a bounding box the same dimensions as the vehicle, you can use AUTOSIZE on the background images to perfectly match the bounding box. I find having a bbox makes auto-zooming and basically adhereing to reality a lot easier. The bbox can be in the background layer.

tonyrizo2003
07-08-2014, 11:22 PM
very nice model!!

OlaHaldor
08-20-2014, 02:23 AM
I have been busy with other things since last posts. But I started thinking about this again, and thought I should give spline modeling a chance. I've never touched it before, and I'm having a hard time finding anything about it. I checked the "LW Main Menu" but all the links are dead. There's hardly anything on YouTube that I could find with my attempts on searching.

Where do you go to find a "getting started with spline modeling" these days?

Oedo 808
08-20-2014, 05:02 AM
I have been busy with other things since last posts. But I started thinking about this again, and thought I should give spline modeling a chance. I've never touched it before, and I'm having a hard time finding anything about it. I checked the "LW Main Menu" but all the links are dead. There's hardly anything on YouTube that I could find with my attempts on searching.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's out there but if you want to jump in with both feet, for $39.95 there's always Lewis's Modelling the 58 tutorial (http://www.foundation3d.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=77), it's all shown so you can follow along the entire way if you want. I think it would still be relevant for 11.x.

Surrealist.
08-20-2014, 07:46 PM

This is because basically people don't use this much anymore for this kind of thing.

As soon as I say this there will be an avalanche of people who say they still do... lol

And underscore "still".

There are more modern techniques since then.

Subpatch is a much more flexible system.

In LightWave it went:

Poly modeling and boolean
Spine Patching
Metaform
Subpatch

In my opinion this is a progression toward technology that is much better suited for organic modeling.

And Sensi will pop in here to sell Easy Spline...

Cool... You won't find me arguing about learning the use of spline patching. And will agree it has its place.

But by an large you want to be using subpatch for these kinds of things. It is far more advanced and flexible. Spline patching can be used in this workflow as well, so it is not a bad thing to learn. I stopped using it as soon as I got my head around Subpatching. That's me.

GoatDude
08-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what's out there but if you want to jump in with both feet, for $39.95 there's always Lewis's Modelling the 58 tutorial (http://www.foundation3d.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=77), it's all shown so you can follow along the entire way if you want. I think it would still be relevant for 11.x.

+1 on Lewis's car modeling course. Very thorough and well done.

Oedo 808
08-20-2014, 09:07 PM
+1 on Lewis's car modeling course. Very thorough and well done.

Aha! Of course, you would know, I knew someone had posted one in the gallery (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138762-58-Chevy). I can't believe I hadn't even replied, I'm such a bum :tsktsk:

Maybe you'll see mine in there someday ... :ohmy: ... nah I'm far too much of a bum.

Very nice work you did there GoatDude, following a tutorial or not :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
08-21-2014, 12:07 AM
My take: The thing about Spline Modeling that makes it less attractive is, it's like being a FILM cinematographer in that it's not very interactive: you make your splines, patch them and then the patch is what you get, changing the splines (of course) does nothing.

In FILM, you shot your film, sent it away to the lab, and hoped like hell it looked good.

--OK, pretty strained analogy, but, the interactivity of Subds really makes spline patching a tough sell.

OlaHaldor
08-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the new perspective, guys.
I went with the Lewis tutorial, so far, I'm learning a few new tricks. I don't mind splines and patches at the moment. It's mainly going to be a low poly game model for the time being.

I'll check Subpatch as well.

Surrealist.
08-21-2014, 12:29 AM
oh, ha ha ha I was going to edit my post.... unless you are modeling for a game... lol

No you'd not touch SubD for that. Spline Patching would be a fine technique. Just don't go too dense of course. :)

Alternatively you can model a high density version in subD and use that to bake details to a lower poly version.... but that is another story.

OlaHaldor
08-21-2014, 12:37 AM
By the way, I started out using the LWCAD line tool (in curve mode) and it worked just awesome! Might not be perfect compared to creating your own points and making splines by hand - but those tools just feel better for me. :)
So curve to LWCurve conversion, cage.. Bam!

It's a start.

Need to sort out the weird artifacts where the driver cab and passanger cabin connects. :stumped:

Lewis
08-21-2014, 02:44 AM
Good start :).

I've created more than hundred cars with spline patching and several trains (and few planes) also. They all were been Hi-poly SubPatch stuff so it was best option for control/quality. For low poly stuff i usually do edge extruding/extending. God thing with spline sis that you can create car even without blueprints (I've done some with just side photos or just looking at 3/4 photos) 'coz even before you start creating polys/details you clearly see with spline cage is the shape of car OK/good so you know what's your end result and you don't need to make tons of adjustments to polys like with edge extruding if you end up adding all details from start so that makes it much harder to adjust/change if somethign goes wrong.

Here is some screens of Spline patched models i did over the years (some being end up in movies, commercials, brochures, print, 3d print games, shorts...)

cheers

Oedo 808
08-21-2014, 03:12 AM
Dat train :heart:

Danner
08-21-2014, 03:18 AM
This should give you a few pointers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOcyliN80sI
By the late and great Larry Shultz aka Splinegod

jeric_synergy
08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Considering Lewis' examples, ( WOW ), I should take another whack at spline modeling.

OlaHaldor
08-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I started patching from scratch again. Practice, practice, practice!
I don't dare to show the wireframe. It's a mess. :screwy: But I'm learning! And that's a good thing.
Dreaming large with quick texture job while I'm figuring out how do to the driver cabin.

Lewis
08-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Just to be clear, i use spline pathcing mostly for laying out general shape and i do detials by cuting, slicing, stencil, boolean, cleanup so you don't need splines for every small thing/detail but as i said it helps for clean polyflow and general shape to be smooth :).

Here is another one:

OlaHaldor
08-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks a lot Lewis. I'm still watching your Chevy tutorial to grab a few tricks on patching to make this as efficient as possible, and as low poly as possible for the game model.
I've come in touch with a train driver who's possibly got some nice detail photos of this specific train type. Things are looking brighter! :)