PDA

View Full Version : Parenting emmiter so particles move also?

malikai666
11-24-2003, 11:25 AM
is there a way to parent an emmiter to another object that is moving so that the particles in the emitter also move with that object? I have tried parenting the emitter to the object and the emitter moves but the particles stay where they were.

mlinde
11-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Yes. The emitter is a selectable object in Layout, use the Scene editor to grab the emitter and parent it to another object (see below)

malikai666
11-24-2003, 11:41 AM
hey mlinde I did that but the particles stay in the same place they were created,
the emitter follows the parent Item but the particles do not. Oh the particles are just staying stationary, they dont explode or move at all so Im not sure if this makes adifference. basically there are 25 particles that start on frame 0 and basically just sit there. If that makes a difference?

mlinde
11-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Do your particles have any X/Y/Z motion applied that contradicts the motion of the parent object?

I just tested this using the same setup listed in the previous message, with the particle emitter set up with no real changes (I changed the size of the emitter so it was smaller than the motion I was making) and it works fine here, although my particles need some wind or something to offset the motion. Scene file attached.

meanlebh
11-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Under the motion tab of the particle fx emitter properties, you can target the particles to an object (such as a null or any other object). The particles should then follow the motion of the object's keyframes. However, I am not sure if these settings would create the effect that you are looking for.....If you parent the emmiter to the object, and then also target the particles to the same object, this may work. I have successfully targeted particles to an object, but I have never actually tried to do both, parent the emmitter and target the particles, so I am not sure if this creates any kind of new problem or not. good luck.

zzyzx
11-26-2003, 09:53 AM
are you using IK at all to move the object the particle emitter is attached to? i had the exact same problem you're describing when i tried parenting an emitter to the end of an IK chain.

i could never get it to work, maybe somebody else has had this problem?? in the end, just copied the motion channels of the target item and pasted them into the emitter's motion channels in graph editor.

FUSION301
11-26-2003, 03:02 PM
I dont seem to have that problem
I added an emitter then parented it to a null object set key frames for the null and the particles trail out the back as i move the null around..Using Mac g4 dual 1.25 osx 10.2.8
I didnt change any settings when adding th emitter what ever the gravity etc was set to as default is what i used...If this is what your talking about..Partigon emitter right?