PDA

View Full Version : MotionMixer will be updated ? or not?

tyrot
07-07-2014, 04:52 AM
I have few questions.
1- Why IKB .txt motion files cannot be used in motionmixer? Is it so hard to code conversion between .hmot - .txt files.

2- Can we have 2014ish MotionMixer covers all the areas of character animation?

3- RHriggit, Ikb or Genoma...i think we have enough options for rigging ..Don't you think a new NLE character animation - mixer is desperately needed?

what is the best NLE animation mixer other than Lightwave - easy to use, fast response...etc..

thanks for your feedback in advance..

Ryan Roye
07-07-2014, 08:14 AM
I can at least answer #1 for you:

IKBooster's motion format reads items by the order they appear in the classic scene editor, whereas motionmixer reads items by their name. IKB format also incorporates bakespots into the mix, so in order for motion mixer to read those files, the developers would also have to figure out how to actually apply the extra bits of data found in them. What I'd like to see is for the developers to do away with all these different motion formats and make it so that 1 format handles everything.

tyrot
07-07-2014, 09:57 AM
thanks ryan for info..
can it be possible? if some talented coder tackles this i would pay for r&d costs... we need unified ..easy to use.. nle for character animation.

jeric_synergy
07-07-2014, 10:00 AM
??? This would be thousands of dollars: are you being literal here? (Not that I have the chops....)

Motion mixer has been a continual disappointment: I know an ex-LWer who would get VERY upset at the mention of it.

Greenlaw
07-07-2014, 10:05 AM
what is the best NLE animation mixer other than Lightwave - easy to use, fast response...etc..

I think Motion Builder still fills that bill--I have an older version which I've been using for the Brudders films and other projects. I don't think Autodesk is serious about continuing to develop it though--in fact, they appear to be more interesting in cannibalizing the MB tech for Maya.

A non-Autodesk option is the web-based Ikinema Webanimate (http://www.ikinema.com/webanimate/). The idea is to upload your character and use Ikinema's online software to retarget, edit and mix your motions. When you're happy with the results, you pay a fee to download the final motion data. I haven't used this service but other Lightwavers have reported getting good results from it.

G.

RebelHill
07-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I guess you could write a converter easy enough to switch between the 2 different motion file types, though there's stuff in each which isnt represented in the other. Tbh though its easy enough, when you have a motion on something to just switch to the other tool and save out the motion in that things format... its not a whole lotta more work to go through (on the user end).

Otherwise, Id not expect to see any such updated tools anytime soon for LW. There are bigger things to deal with first regarding the foundations of the animation system... till those are brought up to date, any great amount of work on MM would end up being wasted effort I feel. Otherwise... for non linear motion editing... as GL says... there's only one contender in town, and that's motionbuilder, nothing else even comes close to that level of functionality for such.

Greenlaw
07-07-2014, 10:12 AM
FWIW, I used Motion Mixer on a couple of jobs in the past, to mix motions of background soldiers for the first two Call of Duty cinematic trailers we did at The Box, and the motions of 'oil horses' in a Quaker State commercial. It worked fine for both productions.

This was quite a few years ago though and I'm not sure if it still works well today. I should test this because, if it still works, Motion Mixer could be ideal for a project we have coming up where I'm currently freelancing.

That said, based on what I remember about it, Motion Mixer could use a bit updating for the 21st century. :)

G.

RebelHill
07-07-2014, 10:17 AM
still works baically the same as it ever did.

Greenlaw
07-07-2014, 11:41 AM
I guess that's good if it hasn't broken since I last used it. :p