PDA

View Full Version : More SubD modeling discussion: obj attached // corner tactics

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Just exercising my SubD chops, and trying to conform to Surrealist's suggestions about "crosshatching corners".

Got THIS situation:
Re Surrealist's methodology, I want to add geometry at the indicated green lines.

What's the proper combination of tools to correctly address this? I mean, I could simply use ADD POINTS after selecting the polys to get the required point, and then Merge Polys to kill the existing diagonals, but I think I'm missing some easier way. And, my current method seems laborious and kinda dumb.

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 03:21 PM
That was educational. Main tools used were CONNECT, EDIT EDGES, and POINTMOVEonEDGE.

Added hotkeys to EDIT EDGES= SHIFT+Q (out of good choices... :( )
and SPIN EDGE= SHIFT+ALT+E ("E" for Edge)
and CONNECT= ALT+L (because it's sorrrta like "Split Poly" which is ...CTRL+L??)

Here's the final object, and a screenie:

hrgiger
07-06-2014, 08:46 PM
I would normally use the new slice tool to add in lines. Sometimes I will use Add points to add vertices onto my object and then use slice to create new edges along them. As far as this particular object, I don't know if it matters or not but you're creating a lot of poles near the corners which are causing significant creasing. Just wondered if you would rather having something more like this object I've attached?

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Well, the indentations were not intentional , but I started to like them, so I left them in. I esp. liked the indented ends, just before the poles.

I'm going to have to add Slice to my NEGLECTED tab-- I keep forgetting it, and its ONE whole line {/sarc} of documentation doesn't do it justice, I think.

Breaking the habits of the past is pretty challenging.

VIDandCGI
07-06-2014, 11:23 PM

I went with slightly different build, 2 options shown - lower edges are rounded/smooth , top edges are sharpened.

It has its own cons in form of subtle lines across surface at the central cross.

I left out the inner faces on purpose but can add if needed.

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 11:34 PM
One thing: I was just taking objects and sloppin' em together with SpeedBoolean:Union. So, it's not like there was a strategy. This was more an exercise in arbitrary subd hard modeling.