PDA

View Full Version : Point Slide that will pass THRU existing points?

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 03:16 AM
I'm using DUniSlide to slide points, but it has a limitation in that it will not slide a point past another point.

Is there a tool that will allow you to slide points past other points in the selected polygons? I know that, programmatically, this is asking a lot.

Sensei
07-06-2014, 03:21 PM
It would create completely garbage geometry...

Try doing it on some object. Polygons will be overlapping..

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I know, that's why I said it was "asking a lot". Basically, it'd have to be telepathic.

It'd have to be a genius combo of SLIDE ON EDGE and SPIN EDGE. Not worthwhile.

Still not worthwhile, but: one could give the illusion of Points passing thru each other by automagically switching (invisible to the user) to the next Point when they collide, but I don't know what the application would be, since the Edge would be staying behind.

This illusion or slight-of-hand would preserve the geometry. It's all the same order, but the selection is switching unbeknownst to the user.

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Just for fun:

Here's an image. The idea is that the indicated point could be dragged anywhere along the line.
This would be best as an EDGE TOOL, not a Point or Polytool. It only works on One And Only One Edge at a time.
The first thing the tool would do would be to duplicate the indicated point so that it doesn't mess up other edges/polys. So really, it only looks like the user is dragging the point.
If the point is dropped within a small distance of existing points on the line, it is Merged on exit.
Like SPIN EDGE, the polys to either side of the Edge are adusted, but in this case it just seems a bit more interactive because it's combined with a POINTSLIDEonEDGE action.
Like I said, just for fun.

erikals
07-06-2014, 04:20 PM
maybe this one can do it, didn't show it in this video though, but you can cross the points >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zozJ7trpEUg

erikals
07-06-2014, 04:25 PM
you also use cp Swap Points >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-tjaLg2YgA