PDA

View Full Version : Connect Tool: location of dox?

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 01:50 AM
I've been using the Adobe PDF Advanced Search function to search all of my LW pdfs for the Connect Tool, but it reports only one hit, and that's actually a reference inside the dox for the Bridge Tool.

So, which PDF contains information about using the Connect Tool?

VIDandCGI
07-06-2014, 04:10 AM
I had a quick look and also am finding nothing from v10 manuals onwards in PDF. Slightly surprised.

If I remember correctly; its a tool which works on edges and points and has no options.

If using edge mode you select 2 or more edges, run the command and a slice will appear running through each edge in selection order at its 50% mark. if an intervening unselected edge lies between the two selected edges then the tool will add points to the selected edges but will not run the slice; in point mode if this happens the tool will do nothing.

If using in point mode it will effectively slice along the connected points in selection order.

Edit:just went back and checked if a point selection crosses back over itself then slice will appear on all but the polygons where the point selection path crosses over itself.

You cannot select more than 2 edges to a polygon using this tool so therefore cannot loop a path back over itself in edge mode unless you try to skip edges causing the same as above whereby the slice will occur but where it has unselected edges crossing the path only points will be created.

VIDandCGI
07-06-2014, 04:21 AM
It also works on Ngons

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 09:50 AM
I had a quick look and also am finding nothing from v10 manuals onwards in PDF. Slightly surprised.
Same here.

Connect was introduced in LW9, so I guess I be forced to go DL those dox. :bangwall: It's immediate application is clear, but some behavior puzzles me: erikals' video of repeated application on a box side is "huh? Why's it doing THAT?" for me.

re dox: I realize that creating dox is a difficult, demanding slog, but how difficult is it to have a checklist of tools taken from screenshots?

And omissions like this one are why I keep pushing the "online, moderated, user-enhanced documentation" scheme: there's always going to be SOMETHING that falls thru the cracks, that's why traditional publishers have a system of "omissions & errata".

VIDandCGI
07-06-2014, 11:11 AM
In essence the connect tool is doing the same as the newer slice tool but without the interaction and options. So I wonder if its being treated as a legacy tool or Alpha/test of Slice and will eventually be dropped entirely or like some other legacy features just left to languish unloved at the bottom of a drop down list.

jeric_synergy
07-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I think it's the horrible naming of "Connect" that makes it harder to learn than it needs be: in Proton's "connect.mov" he makes a point of showing it working in all 3 modes, but that it makes a Point in the middle of single selected Edge is just weird, YMMV.

In erikals' video, he selects the sides of a (4x4x4?) cube, and runs Connect several times. IIRC, the SECOND time the polys to the sides of the selection get Selected--why is that? After the 2nd time, the original selection keeps getting subdivided over and over. --This confuses me.

Proton's video is more clear on why one would USE Connect, as it looks like a slightly faster, weaker Bandsaw that also works on Edge Rings.

At any rate, it SHOULD be in the dox, and it doesn't appear to be. (In an ideal world, it would be in the dox AND there'd be a link to Proton's video.) :sigh: