PDA

View Full Version : Instances, animate ID index

raw-m
07-05-2014, 03:39 AM
Using Instance Generator, I have a radial array that I need to flip over 0 to 180degs, one at a time.

I know I can do it using nodes but I need a little push!

My initial setup is working OK so I know it can be done but I donít know what node goes where to cycle through the numbers. Iíd like to be able to control the offset between each instance, as well.

Can someone some me how!?

jeric_synergy
07-05-2014, 02:03 PM
fwiw.... (I'm no node expert, as you no doubt have perceived).. and #awayFromLW

AIUI (As I Understand It), each Instance is separately processed, so you get automatic incrementation per Instance. You should be able to use the Instance index as a tripwire to start the whole process by subtracting a constant from the index... iow,
INDEX minus TRIPWIRE=GO,
if GO<0 then GO=0, and
use GO as a multiplier to a rotation value ...blah blah blah

DELAY could be added/subtracted to GO. Delay could also be a product, so you could have fine control over that, even by some nulls within the Scene. There are logic nodes to help make this all easier.

Interesting puzzle, esp when one is away from one's machine.

RebelHill
07-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Jeric's on the right track... But here's what you want (or at least something similar)...

Note, the 180/pi thing (radians to degrees conversion) also pi plugged into the logic node (pi rads = 180 degs).

Otherwise, with this setup, you reference a control null via the item info... its heading controls the instances. At 0, non are flipped... at H=1(deg) instance 1 flips, at 2, instance 2 flips, etc.

raw-m
07-09-2014, 04:59 AM
Sorry for the late reply, didn't get an email notification!

That's a useful setup, I'll have to remember that. In the end I used the texture editor and a radial gradient as a basis for time delay and animated the instanced object. Had it generate a ground plane to see the gradient and check it was in the right place (IFW2 meant I could generate the gradient in LW). It would be good to have some kind of visualisation tool for this in future LW updates.

Worked great!