PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Objects in the Viewport Question

jboudreau
07-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Hi Guys

I'm wondering when I go to select objects in the viewport using the shift key it doesn't highlight them in the scene editor it just adds a checkmark next to the name. This doesn't allow me to hide multiple objects and when I go to select multiple objects I loose my selection. At least if the arrows didn't disappear I could multiple select the ones with the arrow next to them.

How can I select multiple object from the viewport and hide them all at once? Right now I have to select them all by name and sometimes there are so many objects that it's hard to find the right name and a bit time consuming. If this is not built into lightwave (which it should) does anyone know of a plugin that will do this

Thanks
Jason

jboudreau
07-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Hi Guys

I'm wondering when I go to select objects in the viewport using the shift key it doesn't highlight them in the scene editor it just adds a checkmark next to the name. This doesn't allow me to hide multiple objects and when I go to select multiple objects I loose my selection. At least if the arrows didn't disappear I could multiple select the ones with the arrow next to them.

How can I select multiple object from the viewport and hide them all at once? Right now I have to select them all by name and sometimes there are so many objects that it's hard to find the right name and a bit time consuming. If this is not built into lightwave (which it should) does anyone know of a plugin that will do this

Thanks
Jason

UPDATE:

Sorry guys I may have just answered my own question. I was using the Scene / Dope Editor which I always use but can't figure out how to do what I was asking above. If you use the old Scene editor then when you multi select your objects from the viewport the old scene editor keeps them highlighted. The you can go to the top where it says visibility and choose hide selected items.

If anyone else knows other ways of doing this please share.

Thanks
Jason

Lewis
07-04-2014, 05:01 AM
There is view visibility option in NSE (NewSceneEditor) - that "eye" column. You mutiselect all and click on view mode and choose "hide".

jboudreau
07-04-2014, 05:12 AM
There is view visibility option in NSE (NewSceneEditor) - that "eye" column. You mutiselect all and click on view mode and choose "hide".

Yes I understand that but say you had 40 cloned objects and you want to select 10 of those 40 without knowing what name I just multi select them using the shift key in the viewport. The issue is the Scene/Dope Editor and the Scene/Dope Editor new does not highlight the selection it just adds check marks next to the item. When I use the eyeball column it only hides that one particular item not all 10 at once. This is because as soon as you click it looses your selection and the check marks disappear. Now in the old Scene Editor it doesn't add a check mark next to the objects it actually highlights them which is great because then I can just go and choose under the visibility tab to hide, set too etc all selected items.

What I need is to be able to do this in the dope editor on multiple objects. I know you can select multiple objects in the dope editor but I need to be able to do this without knowing the names of the objects I am selecting

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Jason

Lewis
07-04-2014, 05:20 AM
RMB + "Higlight selection in viewport" or "Select in viewport" depending on where you selected (in OGL view or NSE). :)

BTW also you can save selection sets.

jboudreau
07-04-2014, 05:56 AM
RMB + "Higlight selection in viewport" or "Select in viewport" depending on where you selected (in OGL view or NSE). :)

BTW also you can save selection sets.

Awesome, Thanks Lewis that is exactly what I was looking for. Yes I was playing around with selection sets as well. I don't understand why their are two scene dope editors. now every time I open up my Dope Scene Editor I have both open at the same time. What is the scene editor new for anyway. It looks the same as the other one. Is it just for have a second or third etc window if you want open?

Thanks
Jason

Lewis
07-04-2014, 06:32 AM
That's 'coz you didn't use open shorcut but you created new instacne of NSE (you can have dozens of them open in same time which is great in some cases). It's saved with Scene/configs as masterplugin so delete it there (ctrl+Q) if you have two :).

jboudreau
07-04-2014, 09:40 AM
That's 'coz you didn't use open shorcut but you created new instacne of NSE (you can have dozens of them open in same time which is great in some cases). It's saved with Scene/configs as masterplugin so delete it there (ctrl+Q) if you have two :).

Thanks man

My god I've been using lightwave for close to 20 years now and never knew that instances of the scene editor was in the master plugins. Always learning. there are quite a bit of hidden gems inside lightwave that are not very well documented.

Thanks,
Jason

Lewis
07-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Thanks man

My god I've been using lightwave for close to 20 years now and never knew that instances of the scene editor was in the master plugins. Always learning. there are quite a bit of hidden gems inside lightwave that are not very well documented.

Thanks,
Jason

Yeh, NSE is pretty packed with features (it has search filters also) but somehow most LWaver "oldimeres" still use Old Scene editor (there is few trick which work better there i know but huge amount of features in NSE is much mor eimportant to me).

Glad it worked for you :)

jboudreau
07-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Yeh, NSE is pretty packed with features (it has search filters also) but somehow most LWaver "oldimeres" still use Old Scene editor (there is few trick which work better there i know but huge amount of features in NSE is much mor eimportant to me).

Glad it worked for you :)

Hi Lewis

Yes I use the Scene Editor / Dope Sheet all the time too. I prefer it over the old scene editor. Thanks again

Jason

jeric_synergy
07-04-2014, 11:50 AM
While the NSE has many features, in general it just doesn't "feel" as "elegant" as the OSE. --It's clunky. (And IMO, that's being kind.) And the spreadsheet portion always just HAPPENS to not have that one parameter that would be A) consistent and B) useful.

And there's still some tasks which are better done in the OSE.

Lewis
07-04-2014, 12:25 PM
While the NSE has many features, in general it just doesn't "feel" as "elegant" as the OSE. --It's clunky. (And IMO, that's being kind.) And the spreadsheet portion always just HAPPENS to not have that one parameter that would be A) consistent and B) useful.

Yes but very little of them and you can do tons more stuff in NSE so it's no brianer for me :).

jeric_synergy
07-04-2014, 02:54 PM
"Brian" would disagree. ;)

I just wish they'd A) FINISH the NSE, and B) swipe the good stuff from the OSE and be done with it.

Also, I find the menus in the NSE to be anti-optimized (pessimized?): every choice they made is the one that works to slow me down the most. :devil:

Andy Webb
07-05-2014, 03:43 AM

I've tried and tried to use the NSE but always go back to the old version, it is just as you say, it just doesn't do it for me.

jeric_synergy
07-05-2014, 12:11 PM
I've tried and tried to use the NSE but always go back to the old version, it is just as you say, it just doesn't do it for me.
It's pretty mysterious...... well, except for the ridiculously small checkboxes, that's not mysterious at all.

But there's a RHYTHM issue with, for example, selecting+dragging items for parenting. It's never quite right for me, and I often have to try several times. I don't know if that's a CHOSEN delay, or just sluggishness in the code, but it throws me off.

In the spreadsheet portion, everytime I think "Oh, GREAT, something Spreadsheet can do effectively!!" and I go looking for the parameter I want to change, it's left out of that particular panel. Over and OVER this has happened.

At least the OSE doesn't promise what it can't deliver. :twak: