PDA

View Full Version : Hotkey to drop Selection?

objuan
07-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Seems so simple, but I dont seem to be able to find it with a search.

Is there a hotkey to drop whatever I have selected? Like clicking in the gray space at the bottom of the menu bar?

ernpchan
07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Mine is the '/' key. Do a search for 'Drop Current Selection'.

objuan
07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks!

Danner
07-03-2014, 01:13 PM
I like to have the common commands bound near the left hand so I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard or mouse and I can execute them without looking away from the monitor. So I re mapped deselect all to x.

spherical
07-03-2014, 01:37 PM
I haven't tried do do so but I'd REALLY like to defeat "s" when the Surface Editor has focus and reserve it for Save everywhere, all the time. I've stored so many surface presets, most of them duplicates that I have to clear out, just trying to save a scene or model.

djwaterman
07-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Is there a keyboard shortcut to Drop a Tool?

objuan
07-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Spacebar kind of drops a tool. Or toggles between point, poly, edge, or something? Usually works. Not if your in a tools text box though.

RudySchneider
07-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Mine is the '/' key. Do a search for 'Drop Current Selection'.

Meh ... I think that's only for selected vertices, edges, or polys, not tools.

prometheus
07-05-2014, 02:41 AM
I have my drop selection mapped to the very first letter in drop, "d" since thatīs where my mind starts to look for the word itself:) so it comes naturally and fast when I do the commands.
display preferences which has "d" by default....I usually just set that up as a button setting instead in the lower menu bars, since I donīt use it so much anyway.

Michael

digitaldoc
07-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Back when Lightwave changed the copy from the C key to Ctrl C, I mapped the C to drop selection or "clear"

jeric_synergy
07-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Selection Drop (for current mode)= / (it's nice that Item Selection is persistent in the 3 modes)
Tool Drop = Spacebar, except when focus is in Numeric Panel

That last has tripped me up too many times.

FWIW, "/" does require a reach across the keyboard, since I prefer to keep my right hand on the mouse, so "/" IS a bad choice for something one uses so often. "d" is probably a good choice for Drop Selection.

NewTek's penchant for assigning Most Convenient Keys to seldom used functions, and conversely assigning multiple-keypress hotkeys to Very Frequently Used functions, is a continual bafflement to me. 8~

Chrusion
07-07-2014, 10:27 PM
I'd REALLY like to defeat "s" when the Surface Editor has focus and reserve it for Save everywhere, all the time.TOTALLY AGREE! 's' does too many things depending on focus, which is stupid... if view ports in focus, 's' opens scene editor, but doesn't close it (that is, not a toggle like the OTHER hot keys for surface, properties, graph edit, motion, etc. panels... booooooo). Layout launches with surface editor in focus if the panel was previously left open (why? what about all the other panels I leave open, they don't come up when launching Layout!?), thus 's' = save preset... not open scene edit. Ugh.

After SO many YEARS of LW existence, cannot one expect consistency to have been perfected by now?

jeric_synergy
07-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I haven't tried do do so but I'd REALLY like to defeat "s" when the Surface Editor has focus and reserve it for Save everywhere, all the time.
O.M.F.G!!!! I am not alone! ---It drives me CRAZY.

Soooooooooooooo annoying!

After SO many YEARS of LW existence, cannot one expect consistency to have been perfected by now?

.... never mind....

erikals
07-08-2014, 12:17 AM
you can disable s with AHK,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE7GN-rPJm8

but yep, could be fixed...

erikals
07-08-2014, 12:30 AM
i've set my AHK script to "/" = "middle mouse click"
so whenever i press the middle mouse button in modeler, i deselect... superb! \ :]

#IfWinActive Modeler
MButton::
Send, /

Lewis
07-08-2014, 02:39 AM
Is there a keyboard shortcut to Drop a Tool?

sure.

here is my setup for last 10+ years :).

erikals
07-08-2014, 03:09 AM
...maybe a "Drop tool & Selection" could be an idea... ?
a function that does both actions at once... ?

edit, nah, bad idea... tested it, worked so-so...

jeric_synergy
07-08-2014, 08:37 AM
sure.

here is my setup for last 10+ years :).
Damn! Time to upgrade my mouse. :thumbsup:

Danner
07-08-2014, 11:42 AM
That's a solid mouse if you can find it. I used one for years, I would have gotten another one but I was given a Razer imperator as a gift. Now if only my wacom pen had more buttons..

Lewis
07-08-2014, 11:50 AM
That's a solid mouse if you can find it. I used one for years, I would have gotten another one but I was given a Razer imperator as a gift. Now if only my wacom pen had more buttons..

There is still those Logitech MX 500/510 to buy in some stores but new one is G500 whcih also has same/similar layout of buttons. Today I'm actually using Logitech G700 which has evne more buttons but i use same shortcuts :). But i always ask for 3 top buttons (for render display mode changes) and at least 2 on thumb when i seek forr mouse :).

erikals
07-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Danner, i have a Wacom too, but there are some tricks...

when using AHK, i believe you can also can add these >

Shift+LMB = Select Polys *taken by LW
Shift+MMB = Select Loop
Shift+RMB = Lasso *taken by LW
Ctrl+LMB = Swap Layers
Ctrl+MMB
Ctrl+RMB = Select Connected
Alt+MMB = Delete
Alt+RMB
Shift+Alt+MMB
Shift+Alt+RMB
Win+MMB
Win+RMB
MMB = Deselect

haven't tested them all, but the above ones work...

Danner
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
hmm never thought of that.. I'll look into it, thanx.

jeric_synergy
07-08-2014, 06:18 PM
But i always ask for 3 top buttons (for render display mode changes) ...

That's the bit I'm lusting after. Do you just map the buttons to a numpad keystroke, and then set the display mode in the usual CTRL+numpad way?

I could probably do that with my wimpy 5 button mouse.

FWIW, I'd like to give a shoutout to two hardware companies that have made my computer "life" 8~ easier over the years: Logitech and ViewSonic. I luvz them! You too, WACOM.

Lewis
07-08-2014, 06:22 PM
That's the bit I'm lusting after. Do you just map the buttons to a numpad keystroke, and then set the display mode in the usual CTRL+numpad way?

Yep i use Num1, Num2, Num3 and map those to mouse buttons, Just be aware that some mouse/drivers don't differiate Num pad numbers from regular numbers so they can't be used that way. Luckily Logitech and Roccat i used both can.

erikals
07-08-2014, 06:58 PM
and again, if it doesn't work, you can use AHK...

i Love AHK... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

jeric_synergy
07-08-2014, 08:36 PM
and again, if it doesn't work, you can use AHK...
i Love AHK... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
You mean, with the mouse, or in general?

erikals
07-08-2014, 08:45 PM
in general, just not for Mac

for Mac one has to use something similar to AHK, but only for (duh) Mac... :]

but for me it really speeds up my LightWave workflow,
check this for example >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYNIKWXkp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18EWkbcEous

Danner
07-09-2014, 01:30 AM
Jeric, I totally get why you love Wacom and Logitech, but ViewSonic? They have some good monitors but the rest are average at best.. I've had much better monitors from Acer, HP and Asus.