PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make an Asteroid

Danakinobi
07-03-2014, 01:23 AM
I'm trying to build and Asteroid.

I'm following this tutorial on how to construct one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HwKf3HuUPU&feature=kp

But when I did some test renders... What is showing on my screen is not what is rendering. I've attached some screen shots and the rendered scene.
I've also included my render settings.

Also I noticed in the nod editor... There is an Input node that I can't do anything with. Meaning, I can't delete it. I've played with it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, and I'm not sure if it even matters.

The tutorial is from an earlier version of LW... I'm using 11.6 64bit

HELP!!!

alexs3d
07-03-2014, 05:42 AM
in the object properties the render subpatch must be the same as the display subpatch, than it works :)

this is also a very good tutorial on making a asteroid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hIQemrsANU

Danakinobi
07-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Thanks alexs3d.... I'm currently not by my computer, but how do you set the render subpatch the same as the display subpatch? Is there an option to click on? Would you be able to show some screen captures of this setting?

Also, thanks for the link... I've been watching that video too... Very useful.

alexs3d
07-03-2014, 07:58 AM
in the 4. screenshot you posted you can see it :) its right under the display subpatch level
in your screenshot it is set to 3, set it the same or higher than the display subpatch level and all is fine ;)

Danakinobi
07-03-2014, 09:33 AM
I see... So if I have the display subpatch set to 20, I need to change the 3.0 to 20.0 as well?

rwhunt99
07-03-2014, 10:32 AM
That is correct, the display subpatch level is for your own computer monitor, while the render patch level is used to actually render out the frame. You can set the subpatch levels separately so you can work faster with fewer poly's and then doing test renders at higher levels (slower render times) to see what you are actually getting. It is a work flow thing. :)

bobakabob
07-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Just keep an eye on your memory. To save RAM when you're ready to render, turn display down to 0.

vonpietro
07-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Hi,

Heres another workflow thing
You can open the scene editor, select all of your objects at once, hit p to open the properties panel, and change all the display subpatch levels at once or/and render subpatch levels, bingo all at once, very nice feature for large amounts of objects.

You mention the value 20 for the render subpatch value, that is a very very high for a sub d level, I would think 9 or 10 is more than enough for most needs. The way to determine is how close to the camera is the object, if it's far away, leave it at default value of 3, the closer you get, the higher it should be, looks like you can envelope it too, funny i did not notice that it was envelopable till now.

THere is also a level of detail plugin too that does that automatically.

Finally, just as an aside, I think the sub divide tool in modeler is a good indicator of what your object looks like when you up the sub d tool, even though putting 20 in the display value will show it just the same.
Maybe someone knows, i dont know if it corresponds, say you say sub d your model 5 times, is that the same as upping the render subpatch level to 5? something like that.
I think its better to use the panel to up the sub patches than to subdivide as that freezes the model and increases the file size alot, but of course its a as needed basis.

hope that helps
pete