PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave community moved?

realgray
07-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Has the Lightwave section moved below the tricaster section for everyone else?

ernpchan
07-02-2014, 03:42 PM
It has for me. I collapse the forum sections that I don't care about so the change in screen space is minimal for me.

pinkmouse
07-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah, even Newtek doesn't think LW is important any more!

Oedo 808
07-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Yeah, even Newtek doesn't think LW is important any more!

Maybe it isn't next to the TriCaster brand. Perhaps they are trying to make the forum more TriCaster friendly, fine by me if they are.

prometheus
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Just noticed, I dont like it ...why donīt they just fix the gallery thumbs for a starter and ad those? it is just baffeling..that they removed it, then ..is it a year now? nothing happens even though so many have complained about it.
Then again...I will apologize if this is just on itīs way together with this update now.

Michael

SBowie
07-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Perhaps they are trying to make the forum more TriCaster friendly, fine by me if they are.Along with a little general housekeeping, that's about right. It's a little more trouble to get to the LW forums, but a lot less trouble to find TriCaster groups. Previously anyone hunting for TriCaster discussions had to hit Page Down 4x to find them; now they don't. The trade off is that LWers will need to press Page Down once ... or, if they've no interest in TC/3P, they can just collapse those groups and not even have to do that.

Change of any sort is always going to annoy some, so thanks for taking it well. I also wish it would lead to other updates. Who knows, perhaps it might, if not now, then at least eventually.

zapper1998
07-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Along with a little general housekeeping, that's about right. It's a little more trouble to get to the LW forums, but a lot less trouble to find TriCaster groups. Previously anyone hunting for TriCaster discussions had to hit Page Down 4x to find them; now they don't. The trade off is that LWers will need to press Page Down once ... or, if they've no interest in TC/3P, they can just collapse those groups and not even have to do that.

Change of any sort is always going to annoy some, so thanks for taking it well. I also wish it would lead to other updates. Who knows, perhaps it might, if not now, then at least eventually.

Makes Logical sense.....
:)

Just noticed, I dont like it ...why donīt they just fix the gallery thumbs for a starter and ad those? it is just baffeling..that they removed it, then ..is it a year now? nothing happens even though so many have complained about it.
Then again...I will apologize if this is just on itīs way together with this update now.

Michael

Gallery T H U M B S , Please

Michael

Sanchon
07-02-2014, 07:52 PM
LightWave is going to one floor down... again.

pinkmouse
07-03-2014, 01:53 AM
Just as a matter of curiosity Steve, what is the proportion of traffic to LW specific forums rather than Newtek sites? I usually navigate the site via the New Posts page, so I see everything, and I would guess it's at least 70% LW.

Rather than demoting LW, the site should be split.

OnlineRender
07-03-2014, 02:33 AM
Just as a matter of curiosity Steve, what is the proportion of traffic to LW specific forums rather than Newtek sites? I usually navigate the site via the New Posts page, so I see everything, and I would guess it's at least 70% LW.

Rather than demoting LW, the site should be split.

from day 1 I have always thought LW should have a separate forum from Tricaster attached to your account on the official page however I have always considered Tricaster as there number 1 app and it deserves to be front and center ... personally I have no issue regarding the forum structure now fix the silly skins :D

spherical
07-03-2014, 03:32 AM
Ah. I get it. It's apparently now all about video. I never heard of 3Play before today, so that aspect of it is working. Get something that's been languishing in the shadows out into your face. What it says about the Big Picture, however, is a bit more than disturbing. Tricaster? Fine. But, I suppose that its sister application just had to come along for the ride, otherwise it would be separated from its sibling. Just has the flavor of being slowly shunted off into the shadows ourselves. Now the LW Archives, Membership Zone and Open Beta forums are all the way at the bottom—under Speed Edit and Other Products. At least bring Speed Edit up with its siblings and drop Other Products, that apparently don't deserve their own classification, below the LW related forums; keeping LW all together. Yes, there are still posts being submitted to them. Please don't completely lock them because I said that.

Here's a clue, as of this writing:

The entire Tricaster section, including all forums, has a grand total of 46,181 posts.
Heck, between jeric_synergy, erikals, prometheus, jasonwestmas, hrgiger and cresshead, they have 50,458 posts, just on their own.
The LW - Community forum alone has 259,973 posts. That's one forum in one section.
I didn't take the time to add up all of the other LW forums' stats, but I bet it's a really big number.

That said, I would like to express my thanks for the continued effort in moving threads that have been inappropriately and/or blithely started in arbitrary forums. Keeping the cats in line is an unending job.

Every4thPixel
07-03-2014, 03:56 AM
I just press "new posts" all day. I never see that front page thingy :D

spherical
07-03-2014, 04:14 AM
New Posts doesn't work for me. Way too much effort and wasted time sorting out what I want to view in which forum and what I want to ignore by looking at the forum that a new post is in, instead of going to the forum I'm interested in and immediately seeing that which is new in Bold at the top. :D

bazsa73
07-03-2014, 04:58 AM
I feel like an autistic person. This change is disturbing, make me uncomfortable in my comfort zone.

SBowie
07-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Just as a matter of curiosity Steve, what is the proportion of traffic to LW specific forums rather than Newtek sites? I don't know, but the LW members are definitely more .. prolific.

I never heard of 3Play before today, so that aspect of it is working. Get something that's been languishing in the shadows out into your face. You may never have heard of it, so I suppose from that standpoint you're right (though I seriously doubt you'll rush out and buy one as a result). As to 'languishing in the shadows', that's just silly. Though a relative newcomer, 3Play is very likely the best-selling sports instant replay system on the planet.

Now the LW Archives, Membership Zone and Open Beta forums are all the way at the bottom—under Speed Edit and Other Products. Well, that certainly seems dire ... until you consider that the LW Archives, etc., are in exactly the same vertical position they were previously. They were always below Speed Edit, VT, etc.), and haven't been moved.

On my 28" screen, with the TC and 3P groups collapsed, the LW groups have moved slightly less than one inch lower, and are still very easily both visible and accessible. I follow the LW groups too, but frankly this one of the least onerous hardships I've ever faced in my life. That said, I'd be thrilled to see the LW groups on the LW3D site. I think that would potentially be a huge benefit ... but it's not up to me.

jwiede
07-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Tricaster customers are the ones paying the bills, of course they deserve the higher-visibility position in the Newtek support forums. I'm only surprised it didn't happen much sooner.

gerry_g
07-03-2014, 06:00 AM
would make more visual sense if LW Logo adorned LW section as per Tricaster section has own logo (at least I think that's what it is)

prometheus
07-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Along with a little general housekeeping, that's about right. It's a little more trouble to get to the LW forums, but a lot less trouble to find TriCaster groups. Previously anyone hunting for TriCaster discussions had to hit Page Down 4x to find them; now they don't. The trade off is that LWers will need to press Page Down once ... or, if they've no interest in TC/3P, they can just collapse those groups and not even have to do that.

Change is particulary annoying for retrograders:) that is until the change is implemented as good as it was intended to be or something.
often takes some iterations before it settles and satisfies the most of us.
we do have the option to collapse and expand the groups, but not arrange them in what ever order we want, it would be very nice if we could, then itīs up to us to arrange the group/thread sections.

Meanwhile....I just want to suggest get something going on the gallery thumbs or the whole design of that section, make it like the modo galleries..at least for the base design functionality.

Michael

SBowie
07-03-2014, 06:34 AM
would make more visual sense if LW Logo adorned LW section as per Tricaster section has own logo (at least I think that's what it is)I'm not seeing anything that looks like a logo. Can you attach an image?

3dworks
07-03-2014, 08:50 AM
is there any option to make unwanted forums invisible as a user setting?

cheers

markus

SBowie
07-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't think so, but if you collapse them it's almost as good.

cresshead
07-03-2014, 09:34 AM
yeh changed for me too...looks okay and newtek does most of it's business with tricaster and 3 play now days so it does make sense to promote them up in the forum.

also Lightwave is now it's own thing with the lightwave group so it's not part of the Newtek family any longer.

hrgiger
07-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Yeah would like to see LW branch out into its own forum. Even with community at the top as it was before, its always been a pain to close all the unused or irrelevant portions of the forum every time browser settings weren't saved. Would be nice to have more focused forums and to see this portion of the LW forums archived.

calilifestyle
07-03-2014, 02:23 PM
What's that saying Muscle memory . haha i swear i kept coming back to forms clicking and thing to self why is everyone posting question about tricaster. i was so lost and couldn't figure out why . haha

Paul_Boland
07-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I got a fright when I realised this forum wasn't where it was suppose to be, I thought Newtek had closed the Lightwave forum meaning they were probably signing off on it!

paulhart
07-03-2014, 06:39 PM
My interest is in Lightwave, not the "other side" of Newtek. I am glad they are compatible but a separate forum with gallery across the top would suit me fine, as it is more what I expect, and see, on my "other" choices. A looonnnggg time ago, someone kindly constructed a link, which is in my Browser bookmarks. I only see this selection. I have not reviewed it to see if changes were needed, as it works, don't fix it.

forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=229,178,225,183,184,263,294,283,222,223,23 1,259,212,213,19,34,35,36,37,38,175,155,41,42,40,7 5,112,245,246,247,103,104,106,131,105,109,107,128, 108,46,47,48,49,82,83,84,85

jwiede
07-05-2014, 05:52 AM
Now that LW3DG have all the Lightwave stuff off on a different domain anyway (Lightwave3D.com), it would make more sense to have separate Lightwave forums over there too. That said, there's a very large quantity of valuable Lightwave usage tips, important workarounds, and the like stored in these forums, so unless they're absolutely certain they can move it without significant data loss, it probably wouldn't be worth the risk.

prometheus
07-05-2014, 07:00 AM
I feel like an autistic person. This change is disturbing, make me uncomfortable in my comfort zone.
Yeah..Thatīs how I feel about it too, change is unavoidable, and you have to adapt too it sometimes, but some things shouldnīt need too much of a change, says the Retrograder in me, whatīs good should shine for a thousand years without change(or more):)

Bring me back cash paying on the bus, bring me back free non costly ATM cards, bring me back the old unemployment insurance, bring me back the old health insurance system, bring me back the 60 and 70īs music, bring me back my old slim belly:) and my youth.

The change is unavoidable due to the inherant dynamic expansion that has itīs beginning from the creation of universe and continue to affect everything in time for a lot of reasons, sometimes the changes goes wrong and need to change back or at least close to what was better before. (oh..how completly unnecessary this intellectuall metaphysic statement came out to be, I reckon I am mumbling too much for myself in a brainstorming style, without neurons properly connected)
Retrograde...Retrograde...retrograde:) bringing back the dinosaurs might not be so lucky though:)
Change...you adapt, overcome and survive it...Iīm sure we users on the forums will survive it, or adapt to it by simply not waste our time in a forum which is giving us headacheīs.

I myself has reduced my activity on these forums probably by 30-50 % mainly because of the issue of not getting any more notifications on the email on thread updates.

I do hope they sort these forums out to become more enjoyable soon though, personally for me the forums been declining in some ways I donīt appriciate, (not getting notifactions on the threads since april, thumbnails gone from gallery, and now some change in the general sections that makes it uneasy to browse through, must be a tough mission though to please everyone when doing web site design changes or forum design, they have to deal with several different states of mind and taste.

Michael

TwoCoins
07-05-2014, 10:19 AM
I dont understand. Has it already moved? Or is it going to?

Surrealist.
07-05-2014, 09:08 PM
What is a Tricaster? :D

pinkmouse
07-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Profitable? :D

Oedo 808
07-06-2014, 02:43 AM
:o

:ohmy:

Hail
07-06-2014, 05:36 AM