PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX query

VIDandCGI
06-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Just been playing about with fiberfx bit more couple of things I noticed;

does fiberfx not like playing with Ngons? ..eg noticed I couldn't edit guides then it would cause a crash with test ngon shape when rendering.

does fiberfx work on a per face basis? as i noticed pattern repeats dependant upon grid pattern.

prometheus
06-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Just been playing about with fiberfx bit more couple of things I noticed;

does fiberfx not like playing with Ngons? ..eg noticed I couldn't edit guides then it would cause a crash with test ngon shape when rendering.

does fiberfx work on a per face basis? as i noticed pattern repeats dependant upon grid pattern.

ngonīs I donīt know.

fiberfx seem to work on per polyface basis, thus doing grass on displaced terrain and boulder hills will not look good due to the face pattern that shows up, I donīt know if thereīs a workaround for it unfortunatly.

VIDandCGI
06-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks for confirming that Prometheus. I had hoped I might get away with doing a thick tuft like carpet with fiberfx and short strands it just was really frustrating seeing visual errors creep in that was fairly sure wasn't a case of user error.
I may try to break up the grid repeats with say 2 copies offset.

Anyone got different approach to getting a good thick carpet effect? I did initially get ok effects with a bump/color/etc. node setup but was hoping fiberfx might be a better answer.

erikals
06-30-2014, 06:07 PM
i'd use instancing, renders much more realistic...

or, FiberFX polys... then use thickener

prometheus
06-30-2014, 06:22 PM
if they actually could get away from the polyface pattern, I really like to fiddle with fiberfx for grass, and if it could work on large areas, though I think sasquatch was way better for that.
not sure about instancing really...I like fiddling with gravity and procedurals to add wind dynamics, with instancing thatīs out of the question, might be doable with some small rotation on them..but I havenīt seen anything looking good, fiberfx grass can look really nice when it actuallys sways in the wind.

Edit...sorry, forgot he was talking about a carpet:)

Michael

Dodgy
06-30-2014, 06:40 PM
You can render 2 point polys as tubes by entering a negative value in the edges/Particle thickness in the Edges tab of object properties (like -.01 is 1cm real world). So you can use the FFX modeler to make those 2 point polys and then render them using this method and it looks pretty good.