PDA

View Full Version : The Tilt Shift Camera? Help Please..

zapper1998
06-30-2014, 12:02 PM
The Miniture looking look you get from the tilt shift camera ?

How do i do that in LW?

Been trying to remember how do do this????

Mike

Slartibartfast
06-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi,

In that picture I think it's the DOF that makes it look miniature. Don't know how the tilt shift camera contributes to that feeling unfortunately.

Cheers

zapper1998
06-30-2014, 12:45 PM
I just thought I read some where that LW could simulate this....

hmmmmmm

thanks

RebelHill
06-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Lol...

just shrink your scene so it actually IS tiny (or use a VERY shallow DOF on your camera).

spherical
06-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Tilt-Shift camera controls where the focal plane is as it cuts across the scene but it isn't required to narrow the DOF. IOW, you can have it so that the area in focus goes from upper left to lower right, instead of horizontally across the image.

hazmat777
06-30-2014, 04:21 PM
This book is based on actual cameras, but may be of use to some folks coming to grips of underlying ideas for a project. As a bonus, you can grab a used copy for about 12 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Using-View-Camera-Creative-Photography/dp/0817463534/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404166625&sr=1-1&keywords=using+the+view+camera

spherical
06-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Definitely worth learning if you're going to use a view camera set up; either with a Tilt-Shift Camera or by using the Advanced Camera to create one. I have two ARCA Swiss view cameras, a 4x5 and an 8x10, with a set of ortho lenses that I primarily used for reproduction photography of traditional media originals. I often would take the 4x5 out in the field when, for instance, going to Yellowstone National Park to get some high rez shots. Operating a view camera, especially on location where you have a severely limited number of sheets of film, is a Zen process. You learn a lot in setting up the shot and have plenty of time to contemplate while waiting for the light. Being able to control what is in and what is out of focus often makes or breaks a great shot. Now, however, using them will require getting a digital back, as there are so few labs to process the film if I shot it. Expensive enough for the 4x5 and I'd have to lug a power supply. That's progress for ya.

hazmat777
06-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Definitely worth learning if you're going to use a view camera set up; either with a Tilt-Shift Camera or by using the Advanced Camera to create one. I have two ARCA Swiss view cameras, a 4x5 and an 8x10, with a set of ortho lenses that I primarily used for reproduction photography of traditional media originals. I often would take the 4x5 out in the field when, for instance, going to Yellowstone National Park to get some high rez shots. Operating a view camera, especially on location where you have a severely limited number of sheets of film, is a Zen process. You learn a lot in setting up the shot and have plenty of time to contemplate while waiting for the light. Being able to control what is in and what is out of focus often makes or breaks a great shot. Now, however, using them will require getting a digital back, as there are so few labs to process the film if I shot it. Expensive enough for the 4x5 and I'd have to lug a power supply. That's progress for ya.

This is the place I have my film work done. Their website looks lousy, but their work is excellent.

http://northcoastphoto.com/film_developing_scans.html

spherical
07-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks! Led me to do a search. More of 'em out there than I thought. Guess I'm not done yet. Still have some sheets shot at Yellowstone Falls that I need processed and I can put off springing for that digital back.

hazmat777
07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks! Led me to do a search. More of 'em out there than I thought. Guess I'm not done yet. Still have some sheets shot at Yellowstone Falls that I need processed and I can put off springing for that digital back.

Glad to hear it! I'm sure you've heard of this company for digital. If my lottery ticket comes through, I'd love to pick one of these up...:D

http://www.alpa.ch/en/intro.html

Riff_Masteroff
07-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Yes, you can purchase a tilt - shift lens for your favorite digital camera. Twenty megapixels or so seems to be the upper range of resolution. Example:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/tilt-shift-lenses/ts-e-17mm-f-4l?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Google_Product_Feed&cm_mmc=GA-_-Camera_&_Optic_Lenses-_-G_Canon_Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-18174