PDA

View Full Version : More Splines - car

VIDandCGI
06-29-2014, 05:22 AM
With the recent threads on splines etc. I thought about giving a go at creating my 1st spline/patch car. Inspiration is easy to find in these forums as LW seems to be blessed with some great car modellers.

After a little looking around I thought a small city car might be best and went for the Smart ForTwo.

Initial layout is going like this...few problems here and there to correct but any input on areas i May be going wrong on would be great.

VIDandCGI
06-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Interesting thing I wasn't aware of until doing these, probably something I missed along the way;

When adding a point to a spline if you have a point selected in point mode then the new additional point will snap to the background point.

djwaterman
06-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Cool, keep posting your progression, looks good so far.

VIDandCGI
06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
To be honest I did initially get drawn to a car I love in the form of a DB9, when I started out sketching it I just got a bit concerned about the number of hard creases, cuts etc. the more i looked at reference material the more i felt it was maybe a spline too far for my initial attempt.

Thanks for the comments, I'm fairly happy with it so far though I am unsure whether I should patch with the e.g.. light border already in place or should I patch a simpler surface then shiftZ the polygons over say a light then detail-in a light?

Lewis
06-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Splines look very nice you did just right number of points, not too many not to little :). you'll need few more splines on certain areas to make it work with 4 splines selection to patch but those can be added along.

As for where to start, well i usually start wiht wheel arches 'coz there you usually need most number of polygons (to define round arch) so that will later dictate number of polys/density. If you start with flat simple parts (bonnet, doors, roof) then you will eventually realize you don't have enough resolution/density for other parts :).

cheers

Dodgy
06-30-2014, 06:44 PM
I use easy spline for this sort of stuff as it automatically patches 3 and 4 edge spline areas, so you aren't guessing, and it allows you to define the poly flow for 3 edge spline areas (4 edges patch as a grid, obviously, but 3 edges patch as a pyramid, so you can define which point is the tip).

www.easyspline.com

VIDandCGI
07-01-2014, 04:02 AM
@dj no updates yet worth posting as I am still not happy with any shells yet to post them for further advice/critique yet.

@Lewis thanks for the comments, advice was appreciated as I was starting with patching roof>screens>boot&bonnet then getting into troubles.

@Dodgy thanks for the link, Ive bookmarked it and will be taking a look this evening.

Lewis
07-01-2014, 04:17 AM
@Lewis thanks for the comments, advice was appreciated as I was starting with patching roof>screens>boot&bonnet then getting into troubles.

Yes, been there done that :D. Roof, bonnet, doors, windows look like fastest way to get "something" recognizable quickly but as i said and you experienced it's trouble for later when you come to parts where you need more segments then you are scr...ed :) ;).