PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell 3 rendering engiine

Snosrap
06-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Just curious if anyone has dabbled with the Maxwell renderer for Lightwave. Good - bad? I'm mucking about with the demo now and would like more info. I'm not to crazy about using the Maxwell Studio and would prefer to stay in LW for all the work. If anyone would like to share their experiences it would be appreciated.

jwiede
06-28-2014, 06:13 PM
I typically use Maxwell3 with C4D, but I have some experience using the LW plugin as well. Can you be a bit more precise what your goals are that have you considering Maxwell, and what attracted you to it? Without knowing that stuff, it's kind of difficult for me to know what kinds of experiences you'd be interested in overall.

Snosrap
06-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply jwiede. I basically want to up the quality of the home and office interiors renders that I need to create. It seems that I can only get so far with LW renderer in that regard so I'm currently testing Kray, Octane and Maxwell. All three of their galleries had great examples of interior renderings so it seems that any will do the job, but they also seem to have their pros and cons. I really want to stay in the LW enviroment and it appears as if a lot of Maxwell's power comes from it's modules and that scares me a little. What has been your experience with it?

jwiede
06-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the reply jwiede. I basically want to up the quality of the home and office interiors renders that I need to create. It seems that I can only get so far with LW renderer in that regard so I'm currently testing Kray, Octane and Maxwell. All three of their galleries had great examples of interior renderings so it seems that any will do the job, but they also seem to have their pros and cons. I really want to stay in the LW environment...
Sounds like you should first take a close look at Kray, as its use of LW's materials system makes transitioning less effort than either of the others (but also imposes more limitations).

...and it appears as if a lot of Maxwell's power comes from it's modules and that scares me a little. What has been your experience with it?
Not sure what you mean by "modules". By module, are you referring to "hair" or equivalent? Or something else? If the former, the LW integration should handle converting LW object types into their Maxwell type equivalents, and would presumably handle converting LW geometry hair into Maxwell hair. Haven't played with LW & Maxwell hair much, in particular, though -- which "modules" do you see as of most value to you?

Snosrap
06-30-2014, 09:44 PM
These are the modules I'm talking about - applications I guess. (See attached) Yes, Kray seems to be the more integrated with LW of the bunch and I like that it just uses LW materials. Maxwell seems rather complex when it comes to materials and Octane can't handle complex n-gons with holes but I like it's real-time previewer and special FX's.