PDA

View Full Version : Edit multiple volumetric light options?

Spline
11-24-2003, 05:25 AM
Hello all!

My question is how can one edit multiple volumetric
lights?
How to Change parameters of multiple lights volumetric options
simultaneously, so I wouldn't need to change them one by one??

This was not an option in spreadsheet, or atleast I couldn't
find it.

Axis3d
11-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Hi, Spline

You appear to be correct - there is no adjustment in the Spreadsheet Editor for Volumetric lights other than toggling on or off. One thing you could do is to go to each light, then Ctrl + Shift + LMB > Motions > Save Motion File. Just enter a quick name like 'q', something short. Then quickly arrow down through your volumetric lights and save the motions for all of them, giving them names like 'q2', 'q3', etc.

Then go to your first light, open the Volumetric properties and adjust all of them to your liking. Then, multi-select all of your other lights in the Scene Editor and delete them. Now, clone your voumetric light you just adjusted however many times you need it. Then, quickly arrow down to the next one and Ctrl + Shift + LMB > Motions > Load Motion File for each one. Selecting the corresponding file you saved earlier.

This method is not quite as fast as if the Spreadsheet Editor could do it, but is much faster than opening each lights volumetric properties.

Hope this helps.

Phil
11-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Yep - there are several areas like this in Layout where the spreadsheet really lets you down. It's not a complete solution by any means and generally I'll open it up, but without any real hope that the more complex stuff will be available.

I can only speculate that part of it is down to the lack of real integration of plugins into LW as a whole such that the API cannot provide access to the more advanced bits of the internals (volumetrics in general are not available for editing via the spreadsheet, for example). I miss the ability to be able to copy and paste light settings a la 5.6 and have also found that there is no way to administer envelopes in the spreadsheet.

There is also no ability to chain things together such that the term spreadsheet is misleading - you cannot link a property to any other property (assuming that the values were compatible, obviously) which was my original hope when I saw 'spreadsheet' on the specifications. It would have been neat to be able to graphically link such properties together without having to break open LW's expression system (or in my case Relativity).

It's the only real major gripe I have with workflow in 7.x to be honest. Scene management is better for having this feature, but it's only half-baked.