PDA

View Full Version : manual versus generative - is 1 better?

saranine
06-26-2014, 01:34 AM
Today I found an old webinar for Rhino's Grasshopper software. It blew me away. Basically Grasshopper allows you to generate shapes with mathematical nodes and then repeat. In the end shapes can be created that are almost impossible to make with the native package - Rhino in this case.

So I thought about Lightwave 3D. To what extent is Lightwave mathematically generative like this? Would you always need some scripting in say Python to do it?

And in general is it quicker overall to have a mathematical generative approach versus manual ways of making shapes and patterns?

Danner
06-26-2014, 02:03 AM
Today I found an old webinar for Rhino's Grasshopper software. It blew me away. Basically Grasshopper allows you to generate shapes with mathematical nodes and then repeat. In the end shapes can be created that are almost impossible to make with the native package - Rhino in this case.

So I thought about Lightwave 3D. To what extent is Lightwave mathematically generative like this?

To the extent you can program it to do it or find a plugin that does.. Also In layout there ways of cloning, modifying and moving objects to form complex structures if you are a nodes guru.
Grasshopper looks cool, and scary for people like me who have trouble with the nodes workflow.

Would you always need some scripting in say Python to do it?

Besides node trickery in layout there are no native tools for it. Only a couple of fractal geometry generators for Sierpinski Gasket and Menger Sponge

And in general is it quicker overall to have a mathematical generative approach versus manual ways of making shapes and patterns?

I've never needed any kind of procedural generated geometry, so no.. unless you need it for some reason.

jeric_synergy
06-26-2014, 08:30 AM
However, such things are common elements of mograph-style graphics.