PDA

View Full Version : best codec for all round use

a_chisholm
11-24-2003, 04:30 AM
this is a bit of a 'fuzzy' question but here goes:
I have been experimenting with different codecs exporting animation to .AVI and iv'e had quite different results from different ones.
Can anyone offer their advice as to which codec they prefer to use rated out of:

-Image quality

-File size (for multimedia)

-Availability (codecs like Divx are not used by everyone)

i think this could possibly make an interesting poll?

thanks for any advice,
alistair

Matt
11-24-2003, 04:37 AM
best for:

compatibility - MPEG1

best quality - MPEG2 / Sorenson / DivX

filesize - any, depends what level you put the quality at

a_chisholm
11-24-2003, 05:06 AM
Hi matt,
the encoders you list are not available to me

1- Does this mean i can't play them?

2- Can i get these encoders, if so where?

thanks for your help

Matt
11-24-2003, 06:28 AM
MPEG1 / 2 - http://www.tmpgenc.net/

Sorenson - http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

DivX - I thought they did a Mac version (finally) could be wrong, check here though http://www.divx.com/

a_chisholm
11-24-2003, 07:10 AM
should i output my animation as uncompressed and used TMPGEnc to compress the files or is there a way to encode straight from LW

thanks again :p

glassefx
11-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by a_chisholm
should i output my animation as uncompressed and used TMPGEnc to compress the files or is there a way to encode straight from LW

thanks again :p

I would output to uncompressed frame files as this allows more freedom to compress for whatever your wanting to output to.

Always output to uncompressed files unless its a quick motion test or something else YOU are using internally.

For example one (if wanted) could "paint" an animation onto the uncompressed frames and not the compressed avi,mpeg or quicktime.

thats my two cents worth.

Matt
11-24-2003, 08:07 AM
as glassefx said ALWAYS render to uncompressed frames

TMPGEnc only accepts AVIs (pain that it can't do a series of files) so render to uncompressed frames, then build into an anim (uncompressed) and then run through TMPGEnc (bear in mind that MPEG1 frame sizes can only be multiples of 8)

a_chisholm
11-24-2003, 09:13 AM
thanks for your good advice guys. I always get good answers on these forums :D .

Jockomo
11-24-2003, 08:38 PM
That's how I typically export for the web - uncompressed avi to TMPGEnc then to Mpeg1.

Although I have another system with a Matrox RT2000 for video editing. It uses an MPEG2 (DVD) format as well as DV format. If I load up those codecs I can actually export out of Lightwave in those formats, which works great because the card can play and edit them in real time. Usually once you install any new codec you can export from lightwave with it.

However, for in house tests I would like to be able to save files straight to Mpeg1.

Anyone know of a way to do this other than saving uncompressed and going through TMPGEnc?

wapangy
11-24-2003, 10:56 PM
MPEG 4 (in quicktime)

and Pixlet (not for normal use, but extremely usefull for certain things)