PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk acquire Shotgun

ernpchan
06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
https://www.shotgunsoftware.com/
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/aut...riding-shotgun/

Greenlaw
06-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Well, there goes the neighborhood...again.

Curious that Lightwave is not mentioned in their 'Works with your artist tools' list. It always annoys me a little when I see a third party developer leave LightWave compatibility off their software's marketing material when there doesn't seem to be any good reason to do so. FWIW, the studio where I've been freelancing right now uses Shotgun and Lightwave. If I was a conspiracy nut I might think this exclusion is intentional. Maybe. :p

G.

robertoortiz
06-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, there goes the neighborhood...again.

Curious that Lightwave is not mentioned in their 'Works with your artist tools' list. It always annoys me a little when I see a third party developer leave LightWave compatibility off their software's marketing material when there doesn't seem to be any good reason to do so. FWIW, the studio where I've been freelancing right now uses Shotgun and Lightwave. If I was a conspiracy nut I might think this exclusion is intentional. Maybe. :p

G.
good point, but the fact that LW was Lw was not mentioned is a non issue now, since they will be an Autodesk products exclusive..

ernpchan
06-25-2014, 01:28 PM
As long as LW keeps adding python hooks Shotgun should work just fine.

It's hard to tell if leaving LW off the list of supported programs is either because they are not aware of LW or if it's an actual slight. I still run into people that either have never heard of LW or are surprised it's still around.

Since Shotgun is Python based, even hooking into Adobe programs is limited.

Greenlaw
06-25-2014, 02:12 PM
OMG! So the Autodesk-Adobe-Foundry-Side Effects conspiracy is REAL??? :eek:

Just kidding. Though I do wonder if the acquisition by AD changes anything for studios that currently use Shotgun. (Sorry, I imagine it's explained in the FAQ, I just haven't read it yet.)

calilifestyle
06-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Dang i was about to check this out. Oh well

erikals
06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
well, it could be worse, what if they killed SoftImage... !?! :P

corrected link > http://www.fxguide.com/featured/autodesk-riding-shotgun

Netvudu
06-27-2014, 03:11 AM
I think this is bad news no matter what. Maybe good for Shotgun devs bank account, but bad for the product itself, bad for its customers, and bad for the industry

Every4thPixel
06-27-2014, 03:28 AM
I think this is bad news no matter what. Maybe good for Shotgun devs bank account, but bad for the product itself, bad for its customers, and bad for the industry

They say they're stoked to let us know that they've signed an agreement with AD so it must be the devs bank accounts that it's good for. I've never heard anyone say that it's good for the software when AD sucks up a peace of software. :D

ianr
06-27-2014, 10:05 AM
sounds bit a 'Queen Single'

Altogether now 'An... another one bitesanother one bitesanother one bites the dust'

Surrealist.
06-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Congrats to these guys to be doing such a good job with something they have worked hard at, attracted the eye of a large company, got rewarded with some recognition and compensation. I'd be pretty stoked if I was on the team. I think most people would.

Here's to wishing them the best and that this new chapter brings good things.