PDA

View Full Version : outdated business models: the list

saranine
06-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Newtek at least does one thing right: you can buy its software with a download.

To my shock and amazement some companies do not allow this. Or to be more precise they make people from certain countries "go through a dealer". My response to this is "I couldn't be bothered - it's not 1995 anymore". The list of such dinosaurs so far is:

Rhino 3D. I might have bought this a few years ago. But I have to phone this person or email that person. For ^&^%$ sake.

Form Z ???????? Now this one was weird. I bought it a few months ago with a download. A week later I get an email from a Form Z dealer saying "you shouldn't have been able to download it - you only did that through a software glitch".

I feel with these companies that I am some sort of backstreet occultist who is seeking out the "dealer" for some potion. The potion is expensive and exclusive. It will make my girlfriend into a toad. It might be that "dealer" over there in the trenchcoat...

For &*^% sake. These companies make me feel that 90210 is still a TV series.

50one
06-24-2014, 03:13 AM
I for once cannot understand why Chaos Group is not offering Vray on their website? you need to go through re-seller...but then you download the software from their website anyway....How hard it is to setup a payment gateway on their server...

S

prometheus
06-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Newtek at least does one thing right: you can buy its software with a download.

Yes agreed, I think newtek/lightwave group should take pride in how they provide lightwave as a product in their business model approach.

bazsa73
06-24-2014, 07:16 AM
I strongly dislike this reseller bullcrap solution. 50% are at least out of business or even more. Or they do not even have the app in their repertoire.

Skonk
06-24-2014, 02:28 PM
When a company wants your money.. you'd think they would make it as easy as humanly possible for you to give them it.

Which as you say, with all the re-seller BS that doesn't seem to be the case.

So yeh; +1 for how good Newtek are in this respect because buying and managing your installers/licenses for Lightwave is very easy.

Marander
06-25-2014, 03:45 AM
Hi

I agree, downloading and license key is a comfortable option.

On the other side, I wouldn't mind paying for printed manuals and proper / beautiful software / CD cases (additionally). I was very disappointed when I bought LW and additionally ordered the DVD with it. It came as self-burned DVD with an old LW release, not even the Content was included. This is very cheap! Additionally to that, the downloadable Content is spread over various zip files, there is no up-to-date Content that includes everything (not to mention the documentation). If you spend a thousand bucks or more for software and additionally pay for the media, this is not the way to do it.

Regards,

Marander