http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Nine_Old_Men

robertoortiz
06-22-2014, 05:04 PM
here are some...

Ron Thornton (Babylon 5)
Gary Hutzel (Galactica)

vector
06-22-2014, 09:53 PM
I suppose they are alive is not needed, so Larry Schultz must be added to the list, although he wouldn't be an old man...

erikals
06-28-2014, 01:29 PM
William Vaughan
Ryan Roye (sorry to put you on an "9 old men" list Ryan) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wheelchair.gif
Craig Monins
Denis Pontonnier
Masayuki Umezawa

Dexter2999
06-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Brad Peebler? Like it or no, he was pivotal.

erikals
06-28-2014, 08:36 PM
nah... i don't think he was a programer, was he, and as a LightWave user, i'd say there are others surpassing him...

good presenter though... :]

jasonwestmas
06-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Brad did Lightwave Tutorials. He was a lw evangelist of sorts.

allabulle
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Yup, I have a 'LightWave ParticleFX Concepts' DVD tutorial from Desktop Images conducted by Mr. Peebler. And he made a few more for sure.

Still, probably not a LightWave all time legend. But yeah, an evangelist of sorts.

allabulle
06-28-2014, 10:14 PM
What about Dave Jerrard, Jarrod Davis, Kelly Myers and Albee?

Edit: I forgot to mention our own Rob Powers. He's been doing amazing things with LightWave since forever. Remember the dancing baby? Win 64 demo..?

allabulle
06-28-2014, 10:23 PM
And probably Taron and Tsirbas too.

Dexter2999
06-28-2014, 11:22 PM
FWIW Brad Peebler was a VP of LW development before he went on to make Modo. Not sure how much programming was involved. But he was involved in it's making, not just tutorials. At least that is what the wiki says.

wesleycorgi
06-29-2014, 06:50 AM
When I think back to when I first was learning, the people that I associated with Lightwave because of their books, tutorials, and/or forum help are: William Vaughn, Dan Ablan, Timothy Albee, Larry Schultz, and Jarrod Davis. Oh, and Dick Van Dyke :)

Phil
06-29-2014, 09:35 AM
If you mean actual developers, rather than specifically artists, and those of a certain vintage in terms of the product :

Stuart Ferguson
Arnie Cachelin
Allen Hastings
Gregory Duquesne (all things volumetric - Hypervoxels/Steamer were jawdroppers when they debuted)

However, developers aren't the entire thing. You need support:

Brad Peebler ought to be included since without his evangelism, I'm not sure how much of a community would exist. Developers don't generally suit the marketing role; without marketing, the product won't succeed.
Tim Jenison needs to be included since LW wouldn't even exist without his vision and tolerance for the missteps along the way.
Chuck Baker who has been vital to the community health over the years. He's moved to the hardware side, and is sorely missed on the LW side of things for the calming influence he has.

From the 3rd party side :

Steve Worley (who did a lot of work in custom dev for studios that led to the Taft/Polk/Sasquatch/Gaffer packages many years later. This custom dev was important to LW use in studios. He is also the source for a bunch of procedural texture algorithms used in LW to-date)
Dan Ablan (his training via Inside LW books was vital back in the day)

There's the 9 I think of.

phillydee
06-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Don't forget about Daisuke Ino. He basically created MD2000.p, and defined the MDD format if I recall. I met him at the LW7 reveal in LA; good times.

[edit] did he also do initial development on IK-Booster?