PDA

View Full Version : Making SPIKEY (Tool) Endomorph

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 04:39 PM
I'd like to make a morph that consists of a tesselated sphere morphing to the same sphere after one has applied the SPIKEY TOOL to it.

Haven't found a workflow that will make this practical. Is there a way to get the new vertices into a separate Selection Set, or the converse, the Original vertices in a set that the new ones don't inherit?

(whoa, either found a bug in map creation, or LWM is wiggin' out...)
++++
Since there didn't seem a way to directly get Spikey to only affect an Endomorph (I only managed to get two spikey versions, the morph AND the base), I used HeatShrink to reconform a Spiked version back to a saved version of the original tesselated sphere.

Now off to see about morphing Instances....

ernpchan
06-22-2014, 06:50 PM
What about doing the spikey thing on a dupe of your ball and then doing a background to morph operation.

I'm not following why your morph isn't working unless you're changing the point count. I can't remember what spikey does.

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Spikey DOES change the point count: it adds a point at the centrum, I believe, of all the polys in an object and then moves the new points along their normals.

I don't THINK I can store the original, unSpikeyed object to use background>morph, because once you use Spikey the point counts are different.

And there's some issue with if you HeatShrink the BASE, you lose the Spikey morph because morphing is relative, and LWM thinks the Spikeyed hasn't moved, ie the displacements are zero. So, you MUST HeatShrink the morph, and the Base becomes the spikey version.

HeatShrink is becoming more and more useful to me.

ernpchan
06-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Sorry, point count has to match. You could do an object sequence where you swap between the two objects. Not sure how that would work with your Plexus setup in the other thread. Hard to mentally troubleshoot when cashier is talking to me, haha.

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Not a problem: heatshrink worked a treat, thank buddha.

A new version of that oh so very useful Spikey 8~ , that put the new points in a Selection Set would be..... well, silly, but nice. Now, THERE'S a low priority item.

(I should watch it: I remember someone DID find a good use for Spikey, but I disrecall what it is.)

JoePoe
06-23-2014, 08:10 AM
If I understand :confused: ....
You can use Spikey :), but it's actually adding a step to this workflow:

1) make tessellated sphere
2) run Make Pole (This is your base.)... new points will stay selected. (Make set if you want to.)
3) Use normal move.

Option two.... using Spikey:
2) run Spikey at zero%
3) use point statistics to grab points associated with three polys. (Make set if you want to.)
4) normal move.

Make Pole is, essentially, Spikey without the shift.

jeric_synergy
06-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Interesting, JoePoe, mucho gracias. I rarely think of/use Make Pole. So that's 2 methods (3 if you include my lame one).

#awayFromLW Aren't the points created by Spikey connected to >3 polys?

ObligatoryFeatureRequest: "Selection History", which would store both manual selections and newly created point sets, such as those created by Spikey and Make Pole.

JoePoe
06-23-2014, 10:53 AM
...Aren't the points created by Spikey connected to >3 polys?

Not on a tessellated sphere :hey: (puts a new point in the center of each trigon).

jeric_synergy
06-23-2014, 11:13 AM
I was using a very low frequency tesselated sphere (2?)-- I think it had some pentagons in there. I certainly looked at it, but rejected it. #awayFromLW

JoePoe
06-23-2014, 12:12 PM
... I think it had some pentagons in there.

uhhh, really?? Look again when you're not "#awayFromLW" :).

Edit: you can certainly make some pentagons/hexagons by combining tris...

jeric_synergy
06-23-2014, 01:30 PM
My mistake. That's what I get for using Wireframe.

erikals
06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
personally, i found the tool to be obsolete...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If-lwYIKItY

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngJoePoe
2) run Make Pole (This is your base.)... new points will stay selected. (Make set if you want to.)
3) Use normal move.

Dito... \ :]

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngjeric
Interesting, JoePoe, mucho gracias. I rarely think of/use Make Pole.

i use it all the time :] my shortcut > Alt-m