PDA

View Full Version : Term definitions?: tags, x-channels, comring

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Over the years, there's various LW terms I've seen in various environments, and never got a clear idea of what they are-- anyone got definitions?:

TAG -- I'll occasionally see a reference to TAGS, related to LWM and meshes, but that's about it.

X-Channels -- This one I'll see in reference to the Graph Editor.

COMRING -- The one I'll see in technical discussions of the guts of Layout, and in plugin discussions.

ernpchan
06-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Comring http://lw9sdk.tribbeck.com/html/lscript/v27.html

RebelHill
06-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Read the sdk documentation.

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 11:40 AM
:readreadread: Maybe I should have asked for "a nontechnical translation"....:hat:

#noaccesstoSDKcurrently, --So, the comring allows communciation between plugins... but is rather limited by the architecture? Like, very limited querying of states?

ernpchan
06-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Yes, it let's scripts talk to plug-ins.

Not sure about the limitations as I've only used the comring once and it was awhile ago. I didn't get very far but that was only cuz I lost interest in the script. Not cuz of comring itself.

RebelHill
06-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Sigh... I just dont get it. On the one hand you complain about the tiniest of features and details not being documented, and then when you want to know about "larger" tools or terminology that are very well documented, you either dont wanna look, or find the answers too technical...

Cant have it both ways.

jeric_synergy
06-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Not a programmer, so hoping there's a layman's version of the turgid language of the link.

RH, it's laughable that you think everyone can grasp that which you find obvious, haven't you figured that out yet? We're not all so swift. Were we, we'd all build your rigs ourselves. Meanwhile, allow me to ask my questions. And "#noaccesstoSDKcurrently" means I can't get at the SDK when I'm writing the post.

---And I continue to disagree that the Assign Tools are adequately, if at all, documented.

RebelHill
06-22-2014, 05:23 PM
RH, it's laughable that you think everyone can grasp that which you find obvious, haven't you figured that out yet?

I dont... please direct me the the post where I say I do...

What you dont seem to have figured out is the fact that I didnt squeeze out into this world with all this know how magically embedded in my brain... I had to start somehwere, which... guess what... meant knowing nothing, reading, and learning. Something you seem unwilling to do because you expect those of us who do know to spoon feed you every last detail like a baby rather than make the effort to learn and comprehend for yourself, asking for help at the point where you hit a roadblock and need the advantage of a seasoned perspective.